[rodgersorgan] Re: Hymnplaying Suggestions by Jim Hockin

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:00:56 -0400

Match the music/registration/playing to the words...some last verses are
more contemplative, subdued, so you may want to play softer, not louder.
Keep your eye on commas...they are slight pauses, breath marks...let up on
the organ, phrase your playing to breathe with the words and the
congregation...for example, in "The Church's One Foundation" the words "one
Lord, one faith, one birth" should be split into three clumps.  If it seems
too choppy, try playing legato left hand on Swell and bang out the clumps
right hand on Great.

Ref changing memory pistons during/between verses...would be a lot easier if
the pistons were on the left end instead of the right, and how about toe
studs for them, too?  Of course, if I plan my service correctly I can put
everything on the same memory and avoid having to change.  See previous
thread on registrations...here's my recipe for memory pistons:
    M1 - all Generals and Divisionals set progressively louder/fuller, from
ppp to fff.  No MIDI pistons.
    M2 - some Generals classical or baroque, some romantic; divisionals call
up a variety of MIDI PR300S sounds.
    M3 - changes from Sunday to Sunday...this is where I plan the service
and set up all registrations to be used during the service.
    M4 - unlocked, open for visiting organists, extension of M3 if
necessary.

Ref toe pistons for Generals...life would also be easier if they were on the
right where your free foot could access them...I've played organs that have
them on the right and find it much better.

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835B and PR300S

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com

To post send messages to: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx