[rodgersorgan] Re: Help with Rodgers pipe control system

  • From: Ed Wilson <actionkbd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 09:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

Something is not adding up...

Is this an "existing" installation (i.e., been installed for years, all of a
sudden having problems) or a "re-installation (i.e., old system connected to
new console, moved from somewhere else, what have you)??

What pipe power supply is used in the system? A Rodgers supply, or something
else (Astron, etc.)?

Was any work done on anything electrical in the church recently (breakers
changed out, new wiring system added to the church kitchen, et.al.)?

Has anyone been in the chambers for anything recently? (pipe tuners,
construction workers, et.al.)?  I have seen several cases lately where someone
goes in, crushes a cable, drives a staple through a cable, etc.

Any other info you can provide about the system would help with the analysis.

Regards,

Ed
Paul Soulek <soulek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi List!

I'm having a problem with my Rodgers pipe control system---each time the
organ turned on and power is applied to the driver boards, one of the
pipe driver chips pops and smokes (it doesn't matter which one...each
time it's a different one). Two local electronics techs. isolated the
problem down to "hex Schmitt trigger" (a "4106") that interprets and
distributes the Clock-Strobe-Data information. We replaced the "hex
Schmitt trigger" on our chests with parts from the local Rodgers tech
(local means a 140 mile drive yesterday :-) , but we still have the same
problem. (this is the gedackt chest)

Now we are having problems with the principal chest also. When the organ
is turned on, all of the pipes go on at once. We unplugged the
clock-strobe-data to the driver board so that just the power was hooked
up. Same thing happened---all of the magnets opened. Our electronics
techs. tell us that this was a problem with the hex Schmitt trigger
too---but replacing it does no good.

One useful piece of information on both of these items could be the
voltage---the system is supposed to use 15 volts, but when tested, it
shows around 19.2 volts. Could this have "burned out" the "hex Schmitt
trigger" so that strange things happen? (driver chips blowing up, grand
cyphers...) Or is this reading normal when there is no load on the power
supply? (the two "electrical people" that looked at it seemed to think
that it was normal)

I'm lost (and somewhat disappointed). Any help that any of you could
provide would mean the world to me.

Thank you!!!!!!
Paul
!