[rodgersorgan] Re: Has a new Rodgers joined your family recently?

  • From: wolflampert@xxxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:36:28 -0700

Yes, I joined the group 2 years ago when we at Rock of Ages Lutheran
Church upgraded our Rodgers 135 pipe/electronic combo (installed in 1980)
to a Rodgers 835B with PR-300S.  The new organ is interfaced to the
pre-existing pipechest.  Although it's nice to be able to play the pipes,
I've found that I have used them less and less only because I've been
kind of lax in keeping them tuned.  But the 835B's sounds are so
realistic that most people don't even realize the pipes are not being
used.

The PR-300S has really added a fun new dimension to our church music.
For one thing, the orchestral sounds breathe new life into old
repertoire.  Moreover, I haven't been afraid to use some of the more
exotic sounds.  Recently we did Terry Dittmer's "Yes" as a congregational
hymn.  When I had first heard the song, it reminded me so much of Jimmy
Buffett's "Changes in Attitudes, Changes in Latitudes" that I made an
arrangement of it using marimba and steel drum and saved it to disk.  The
hymn was a big hit.  Curiously, my pastor headed to Cozumel on vacation
about a week later.  Just a coincidence?  Or the PR300S's power of
suggestion?

Another thing the PR300S does for me is make it possible to play a lot of
music that has been beyond my ability.  Sometimes I'll preprogram a whole
piece with multipass recording, or record it at a slow tempo in one pass
to be sped up later.  But often I'll lay down all but a solo part on disk
and supply the solo live.  I have worried that making a habit of this
might make me lazy and unwilling to learn a hard piece.  But with a full
time job outside the church and having to play every service, time can
get scarce.  That is, I HAD a full time job until a week ago.  And I am
already starting to tackle some of those harder pieces without the aid of
the "black box."

We had several fund raisers to finance the new organ.  Since I am also
resident composer, I offered to write special music for donors of $500 or
more during one month.  Five families took advantage of the offer.  A
year and a half later, after I had finished the 5 pieces, I programmed
them onto PR300S disk, digitally recorded them to my computer's hard
drive, and burned CDs.  The congregation "ate" them up, buying them to
give as gifts, sending them to relatives in other states, etc.  This CD
sale is what finally paid off the organ in less than 2 years' time.  (And
the exposure my music received was an added bonus.)

In short, I love our Rodgers.  And now that I don't have a 9-to-5 job,
I'll be spending even more time with it.  Heck, I may even tune the
pipes!

Wolf Lampert
Colorado Springs, CO

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:28:08 -0500 noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Since the list began we have had a number of members join because
> they
> were in the process of purchasing a new organ.  We'd like to invite
> those who have taken delivery to drop us a note and let us know of
> their
> experiences with their new instruments.
>

> --
> noel jones, aago
> athens, tennessee, usa

Just Published! Using the PR-300 Sequencer Voice Module by Frog Music Press
----
go to www.frogmusic.com/rodgers.html