[rodgersorgan] Re: Don't be afraid! & Audio HUM

  • From: Ed Wilson <actionkbd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:49:50 -0700 (PDT)

List,
Bad grounds can be serious.  I have gotten zapped more than once due to
improperly wired (thus the ground is "floating") outlets or breaker boxes.  One
of my most valuable tools in my box is a polarity checker (available from Home
Depot, et.al.).  I find bad outlets in about 10% of the churches I visit.
However, even that device can't find all of the ground problems.
On one visit to a church, the ground pins between two outlets differed by about
30 volts... one line came from the "old box" in the "old building" and the
other was on a "new" box in the "new" building.  A 30 Volt potential difference
can not only cause the organ to hum... but can make the organist hum an new
tune also.  In this case we ended up having a licensed electrician come in and
fix the system.  He did a great job... new stakes to earth ground in the blower
room, etc.  The potential differnce was reduced to less than 3 microvolts...
and not a trace of hum.
Ed
  noel jones <zimbelstern@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Your email service has been changed to our new group host, freelists.org

You can now quit Yahoo, unless you wish to continue being a Yahoo member
for any other reason.

Freelist does not accept advertising and does not distribute addresses.
The membership directory is also hidden, at my request, for your
privacy.

In this time of virus wars, you should feel confident in using this
email service also because it does not accept and distribute
attachments, the source of virus infections.

I should also mention that the current virus acts in the following
manner: It takes email addresses found in host computers and sends
bogus, even insulting messages out to these addresses. This means
people who have gotten email from you can have a computer with a virus
that will send messages out that appear to come from your email address,
though the error messages that come back definitely show an address path
that indicates that the message did not originate from your computer.
More than you wanted to know about this all, but it is a strange one.

This virus does not take up residence in MAC computers, which is the
computer I use to approve all mail, so that is a bit of added
protection, I understand.

Anyhow, do not be afraid to post a message!

I should also mention that I have been working with a church that has
wished to record directly from the line output of a Rodgers Trillium
837, but has been faced with a hum problem when trying to do that. To
help eliminate this they had an electrician put the organ and the church
sound system on the same circuit, but this did not eliminate the hum. A
matching box with ground lifter did not help at all. talked with the
church, and I have just gotten email from them that the problem has been
solved. ANOTHER outlet on the same circuit had a bad ground and has
been repaired and the problem is gone!

It's easy to blame these things on the organ and/or the sound board, but
this is just a another case in which they were both innocent.

noel jones