[rockinghamphotoclub] Fwd: Aurora Borealis

  • From: Robert Glassmaker <glassmakers@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rockinghamphotoclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:38:42 +0800

The beautiful northern sky in Alaska.  Of course, you have to travel there in the winter to see it!

Subject: Aurora Borealis

From a friend of a friend. - Mike

From my friend out of Palmer, AK

Subject: Aurora Borealis taken from Cleary Summit April 5, 2010

I hope you all can get these pics. Taken a few days ago up North of Fairbanks
One of the reasons I have been in AK so long.... and plan on stayin'.   Rich

AMAZING NORTHERN LIGHTS - April 5, 2010.  Northern Lights or the Aurora Borealis.
The aurora hasn't been very active for the past couple of years, but one of the most impressive
displays I've ever seen occured last night.
These are photos of that display that were taken from Cleary Summit, which is about 20 miles
north of Fairbanks and at an elevation of about 2000' msl.

It was a moonless night, but notice that the hills in the background of the first picture are about
15 to 20 miles away.  Also notice the big dipper framed by the auroa in a couple of the pictures.
The displays are often spectacular; some times they approach 'scary'.  This was one of those times.
There was a spectacular display directly over Fairbanks this evening around 10:30.

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. See how.