[rockinghamphotoclub] Canon 580EX II

  • From: Craig Taylor <supercujo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rockinghamphotoclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:26:37 +0800

Hey all

On the weekend while shooting a wedding I had a problem where my flash
stopped working on my camera. Other flashes would work, as would wireless
triggers, so had to be the flash. I managed to survive the rest of the day
using some donated wireless triggers (thanks Sean!) and it all turned out
well.

I did some looking around and found that the quick release mechanism and hot
shoe on the 580EX II can become loose and connection can be flaky or just
not there. Some instructions on fixing the issue can be found here:
http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/speedlite-580ex-ii-hotshoe-fix/ I
didn't need to remove the inner cover as my screwdrivers were thin enough to
reach to the hot shoe mount shoes and I tightened them about a full turn.

If anyone has this flash, it might be worth doing some preemptive
maintenance so it doesn't fail at an important moment. If it is still under
warranty send it in to Canon for a fix, otherwise do it yourself. Very
simple.

Over and out
Craig

--