[rockinghamphotoclub] Re: 5 must have lenses for Nikon users

  • From: Wayne Henry <wayne.henry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rockinghamphotoclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:42:59 +0800

My brief experience with Capture One went something like this:
- At the time, Photoshop 7.0 was not compatible with the.pef Pentax Raw
format, no plug-ins or work around, nothing could be done using PS, Bridge
or anything like that and .pef file.
- Being a cheap-skate I looked for other options rather than fork out $$ to
upgrade to the latest PS version (CS2 at that time).
- Found Capture One and downloaded the Free version to trial it.
- Wasn't sold on it straight away but persisted trying new things to see if
it would grow on me.
- One function was creat a web-album ..... never done that before, lets give
it a go.
- At one stage it asks where you want your finished album saved to, I select
the generic "My Pictures"
- Laptop freezes, COMPLETELY locks up, cntrl+alt+delete doesn't even work,
have to turn power off.
- Get everything going again, go to look if anything saved into My Pictures
and the entire folder is empty, including all the sub-folders I created
there. Everything in the destination it was saving too has been wiped clean!

I back up fairly regularly, but had shot my sister in-laws birthday at a
cafe in Cott's that afternoon then went to Sculptures by the Sea afterwards
and had some shots from the day before that I hadn't backed up yet. All
gone, unrecoverable and silly me had wiped the SD card after getting them
"safely" onto the laptop knowing I'd back them up in a day or two.

E-mailed Capture One and they got back to me saying that it was a known bug
in the older version (that's a pretty major known bug!!) but couldn't happen
in the latest version and that's what I should have been using. I tod them I
was using the latest version, downloaded from their site only 2 days ago.
they said it can't happen in V14 (or whatever it was at the time), I
confirmed I had V14 then they stopped replying and ignored me. 2 weeks later
V15 was released - which oddly enough I didn't bother with and never bought
the full version at the end of the trial.

That was 2 years ago, but I'm still holding a grudge (can you tell?). So
aside from the functionality, screen re-sizing issues and being a pain to
use compared to PS - the customer non-service and those kinds of bugs in
released versions turned me off them for good. With Phase One and the Mamiya
didgital MF gear locked to Capture One, even if I ahd that kind of cash I
wouldn't go near them.

The 645D will shoot in Jpg, Pentax .PEF raw and .dng RAW, all formats that
Photoshop will work with without any need to save as a tiff or something
else first before going into PS.

Last I looked into it, even using 2nd hand gear, going MF with a Mam' or the
like and a digi back was not much, if any, change from $10K and not the
ideal gear/software for that kind of outlay and $20K+ was needed for
something I thought I could actually live with and enjoy using.

So for under $15K (allowing for exchange rate and taxes/duties when landed
in Aus) for a completely new, covered by warranty, 40Mpixel camera .....
can't wait for the 645D.