[roc-chat] choice of igniters / ematches for airstart of H or I class motor

  • From: Terry McKiernan <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 22:16:38 -0700

Hello all,

Still trying to get my 2-stage high-power rocket project ready for the June launch.  I have a question about igniters I hope you can all help me with.  Basically I am looking for a recommendation: should I use the igniter that comes with the motor, or buy an igniter more suitable for airstarts, if there is such a thing?

My design uses two 3" rockets which are outfitted with Aerotech motor retainers, and I have Aerotech casings, so I've only used Aerotech motors with them.  These are 38mm motor mounts and I'll be using class H or I motors for the sustainer stage.

I am concerned that the Aerotech motors will be hard to start with a small battery that can fit in a payload bay.  I found a few posting online indicating that Aerotech's igniters require 12V and can pull 15A+ momentarily when they short & burn.  This is OK I guess for a ground control system with a big fat car battery or marine battery attached.  But, it seems like an awful lot for an altimeter battery.

The airstart will be controlled an a Raven altimeter, and it does support having a small 1S LiPo for the altimeter and a second battery up to 20V for the pyro channel.  And, yes, I can get a 2S 30C 12V LiPo on Amazon.  So, theoretically it should be able to start the motor using the Aerotech igniter.

Alternatively I could buy some other igniter, or ematch, or make my own.  Any recommendations?

I am tempted by this ClusterFire kit, which promises 1 second burn at 5400F, using 6V and 2.3A:

https://www.rocketflite.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

Or maybe H-3 Compound?

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Motors/Motor-Starters/H3-Igniter-Dip

Or MJG?

https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/6/5/mjg-firewire-initiator

Note that at the March launch my Aerotech igniter on one launch failed, and I tried an MJG ematch I had bought from buyrocketmotors.com as a replacement and it failed, and then I bought a FirstFire and it worked.  But, that was a ground launch not an airstart.  In any case my only experience with MJG was not good.

Or Slim Gem?

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors/Motor_Starters/Slim_Gem_Starters

One thing i note about Slim Gem is they also require 12V just like Aerotech.  Also according to the Apogee site they burn at 1400F, vs. the 5400F claimed for ClusterFire.  Quite a difference...

Or Quest Q2G2?

http://www.buyrocketmotors.com/quest-q2g2-3-initiators-6-pack/

Or ... probably lots of other choices out there?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Terry McKiernan