[roc-chat] Re: Solar

  • From: RICK MASCHEK <rickmaschek@xxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 21:45:56 -0700

Hi Rich,

We looked at the 10K Bergy but we use less than $50 a month on average of
electricity and so looked at 2K solar and found as John said, a 1 or 2K wind
turbane would be best for us AND 1K systems can be roof mounted and with the
higher than solar wind rebates, such a system is almost cost free after rebates
but that is provided you grid connect and live in a "Hurricane Gulch". If you
are looking to get off the grid, consider solar thermal for heating. We planed
trees to shade our house in the summer and lots of south facing windows for
passive heating in the winter (sometimes gets 85 in winter when outside is
40-50 F). Also disconnected the electric heater for the spa when our electric
bill increased $100 when we installed it. With a simple $100 solar panel, $20
bulge pump and $40 black irrigation tubing, our spa heats itself, sometimes to
110 F in the summer. And with the money I save I can buy more rocket stuff.

Rick