[roc-chat] Rescheduled Trailer Cleaning and Equipment Repair - Saturday, 10/6

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, roc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 21:31:05 -0700

Hello ROC Folks:
   This coming Saturday, October 6, 2012, starting at 9:00 am, we will be
holding the trailer cleaning event to get everything in ship shape for the
upcoming ROCtober and ROC-Stock launches.  It's a great opportunity to give
back to the club, and to shoot the bull with all your rocket buddies.  In
addition to regular maintenance, we'll concentrate on the launch control
system, radios and other electrical equipment.  We can use all the help we can
get but we need a minimum of 10 to get everything done, so please put this on
your calendar and join the fun!

Bring work gloves and suitable shoes, as well as any tools you think might be
helpful.  Please RSVP your intent to attend the trailer cleaning to
roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx .  We'll keep track of the responses to make sure we
have enough people.  We don't have a food coordinator at this time, but if
anyone would like to volunteer to make an In-N-Out run for the group, you'll be
reimbursed by the club.

The location, as always, is the home of Leslie and Scott Mayer, in Oak Hills.
Their address is:

8828 Kittering Road
Oak Hills, CA 92344

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=8828+Kittering+Rd+92344

Feel free to bring friends, relatives, and a willingness to lend a hand.  Work
gloves are encouraged, as we'll be hauling heavy launch equipment in and out of
the trailer to clean and repair it, and gloves can make that easier.  If you
have special expertise, such as with electrical repair, welding or machining,
bring that too!  There is no shortage of deferred maintenance to take care of.

Directions:
============

If you come up the Cajon Pass heading north on Interstate 15, you should
take the highway 395 exit as you get in to Hesperia.  You'll cross over the
freeway, coming to a traffic signal at the Pilot gas station/Newton's
Outpost truck stop.  Make a left at the signal on to Joshua street, and
follow Joshua street one block west to where it ends in a "T" at Caliente
Road.  Turn right on Caliente, and head north one block to where the
pavement ends just before Muscatel street.  Now on the dirt, turn left on
Muscatel.

About 50 feet after turning left on to Muscatel, you'll see that the dirt
road takes a steep drop down a hill into a valley, and up the other side.
Approach with caution, as it's not uncommon for vehicles on this road to
speed down one side and up the other, and you don't want to collide with a
car coming the other way.

Follow Muscatel west down the canyon, and up the other side.  Continue
another six blocks, and turn left on Kittering road.  Leslie and Scott's
place will be the first house on your right after you turn.  The trailer is
in the back, parked next to the garage/workshop.

If you want to avoid the steep drive down into the valley on Muscatel, or
if you're coming southbound on 395 from somewhere to the North, or if you
miss the 395 exit off the 15, and get off on Main Street, instead, there's
an alternate route you can take:

Head West on Phelan Road from 395.  If you're heading northbound on 395
from the 15, you'll be driving straight past the Pilot gas station, and
making a left on Phelan Road, which is the next signal past Joshua Street.
If you're heading southbound on 395, you'll be making a right on to Phelan
Road.  (Phelan Road becomes Main Street if you go the wrong way and head
east towards Interstate 15.  So, if you get off the 15 at Main Street,
simply head west until you pass 395.)

One block west on Phelan Road from 395, just past Los Banos Ave., Phelan
Road goes from two lanes down to one.  The very next street on your left,
just after the lanes merge, is Freemontia Road.  Turn left on Freemontia.
DO NOT TURN ON LOS BANOS -- go one block past Los Banos, and turn left on
Freemontia.

Freemontia becomes a dirt road immediately.  Follow Freemontia south until
it hits Muscatel, and turn right.  The house on the southwest corner of
Freemontia and Muscatel has a giant rooster statue and a windmill in the
front yard, so simply turn right when you see the huge cockerel.  Head
three blocks west on Muscatel, and turn left on to Kittering.  Leslie and
Scott's place will be the first house on your right after you turn.  The
trailer is in the back, parked next to the garage/workshop.

Thanks and see you all there!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC Board Member - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088