[roc-chat] ROC's August Launch is this Saturday

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, roc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:09:56 -0700

Fellow ROC Members,

A quick reminder: this Saturday (August 11, 2012) is the next ROC Launch.
Projected weather conditions appear to be good for launching, but an EXTREME
HEAT ADVISORY is in effect.  Overnight lows will be near 80 and daytime highs
will be around 106 under clear to partly cloudy skies.  On the encouraging side
(for rockets, anyway) the winds are expected to be light and variable, under 5
mph.  Especially this month, but as always, remember that we are in a desert
environment, so plan accordingly for the heat and sun.  Be sure to bring (and
drink) plenty of water to avoid dehydration, and wear a hat, sunglasses, and
sunblock to avoid getting burned.

As always, the best flying conditions prevail in the morning hours.  Because of
this and the high anticipated temperatures, you should plan on flying early.
Given adequate help with setup, we plan to be launching by 8:00 am, and we plan
to shut down the range for the day at about 1:00 pm.  PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS
AND PLAN ACCORDINGLY!  Arrive early, help set up and fly early!  Please let the
board know in advance if you have any large projects or unusual support
requirements that we should know about.

For those of you who did not attend the last two launches, a quick reminder
that our launch site has moved slightly.  The new range location is just about
1000 ft. south of the old site and is accessed from the same road as before.  A
half mile in to the lakebed, look for the metal post and signs directing you to
turn left to the new site.  If you are arriving the night before for camping,
don't set up in the old spot because you WILL be asked to move.

Non-member daily launch fee is $15 and the paid-up member fee is $5.  Everybody
needs to register and get a wrist band to fly.  As announced last month, we
have a new easy-to-use site for volunteering for range duty.  Please visit

http://mysignup.com/rocrangeduty

to select your range duty assignment.  We'll open the range for flying as soon
as we get our positions filled and the range set up, so let's pitch in so we
can take best advantage of the good morning flying hours!  Overnight camping is
allowed as usual, but be sure to keep all campfires in above-ground containers
to comply with BLM rules, and pack your ashes and wood debris out with you when
you leave.  Let's always try to leave the playa a little cleaner than we found
it.  Portable toilets should be delivered on site by Friday afternoon to
support campers and setup.

Let's fly rockets!  We'll see you on the lake bed!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC Board Member - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088