[roc-chat] Re: Open Source Electronics?

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 10:13:54 -0800

On 2/3/2019 10:07 AM, Payton Kramer wrote:

Oh, for the good old days, when you'd just use other people's stuff and wait for them to sue you... <G>

David Erbas-White

Open source basically just means making your work available for other people to view/use.  There's been a big open source movement lately in software, where developers will publish the source code of their software.  Like any other intellectual property, there are different licenses that people use (totally free do whatever you want, you can change it and use it yourself but not sell it, credit the original developer, etc).

There's a number of reasons to make code (or other things) open source.  Some developers do it because they just want to see their work get use and don't care about money, lots of projects are open source and have a community of people that come and go adding changes to it, somene companies publish their code so people can ensure that their software really does what they say, etc etc.

So for example, Altus Metrum makes their software and hardware open source.  So if you wanted to make something similar to one of their altimeters but you wanted an extra feature, or to get rid of something to make it smaller, or whatever you want, you could download their code and their schematics and pcb designs and use it to learn from or as a starting point.

---- On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 09:36:33 -0800 *dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx * wrote ----

    Sorry guys, probably going to show my age or how dumb I am, but
    what does open source mean? I have read that word a couple of
    times now researching other topics.

    Sent from my iPhone