[roc-chat] Initial Launch Power

  • From: Michael Klett <xsive.guy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ROC Chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:49:30 -0800

I've spent just a minute or two trying to noodle this and have not made
much progress and I'm not sure how I would solve the problem besides just
using a huge motor...

NAR recommends an initial thrust of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 for a safe launch.
 Given a rockets weight how would you figure out the minimum size motor to
use?

For grins, let's assume that the rocket plus motor weighs 2 lbs.  I know
that a Newton is the force required to accelerate 1 kg 1 m/s^s.  But saying
I need a motor with 6 n of thrust (2 lbs is just about 1 kg and 6 x 1 is 6)
is wrong.  My 2 lb rocket won't fly well on an Estes A8 motor.

If my sim says that I'm pulling 6 Gs or more off the pad with a particular
motor and rocket combination would that be good enough?

What am I missing in the equation.  It seems like it should be obvious but
I'm not seeing it.

Thanks,
Mike