[roc-chat] Filling in Ruts on Dodo Road

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 16:28:11 +0000

I don’t know if Kurt or other Board Members got the opportunity to take a good
look at the what is now an alternate access to the launch site. I spent about
a hour on Saturday at ROCstock surveying this road for possible improvements
like filling the ruts. In my opinion, work on this road would be a waste of
time. There’s too much water that flows parallel to the highway when it rains
and if we filled ruts in one location, the water would just go around the
filled section and cut the road in another location. When the lakebed reaches
saturation, the water starts to flow toward the highway but doesn’t go under
the highway until it reaches the level of the culverts installed a couple years
ago, so the water flows north and south and creates the ruts you see along the
highway.

The current major access road doesn’t get frequent ruts going across it because
it’s generally lower than the surrounding area. When water flows to this road,
it just fills it on both sides and creates an island in the center along its
length. If we do anything, I suggest that we start driving more along the
center of this road to pack it down and move some of the dirt into the deep
canals created by frequent traffic.

Well, probably more than anyone cared to know, but wanted to follow up on this
subject. Just enjoy driving to the launch site on Dodo Road while you can.

Richard Dierking