[roc-chat] Electronics

  • From: "Chris Coffee" <chris_coffee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 14:01:52 -0800

Hello everyone, and Happy Holidays to all.

I have this rocket that was given to me by a friend of mine and have a couple
of questions about it. It was zippered on the top 3 inches of body tube so I
cut it down. He told me that I could have it, but I am wanting to fix it and
give it to his 10 years old son who has been coming to the ROC launches for a
couple of years. So my questions are this:

1. In the first picture, what are the two ports for that are mounted on the
bottom centering ring? I mean, I know one is for a timer and the other for an
accelerometer, but I have never seen a setup with those particular type of
plugs on the outside of the rocket. And will removing them be okay since the
boy will not be using electronics?

2. In the second picture, you will notice a bunch of holes in the body tube.
There are exactly 19 of these holes throughout the tube. I am pretty sure they
were used for securing the e-bay in the body tube, but will leaving the holes
open cause any flight problems? Should I fill the holes in with some epoxy?

3. Looking down into the tube there is the remnants of the wiring for the
electronics. If I remove the plugs from the bottom ring and pull the wires out,
it will leave holes leading from the body tube and out through the lower ring.
Will those holes, along with the ones on the upper body vent enough pressure to
prevent the ejection charge from separating the nose cone from the body tube?

Thank you to all who will reply, and to all who have helped in the past.

Chris Coffee

1.

2.

3.