[roc-chat] Re: Archetype line cutter

  • From: Ed Holyoke <bicyclop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 20:23:03 -0800

Yeah, Jeff I got to thinking about why I need more BP than they say to use and it occurs to me that pressure blowing out the oversize e-match hole might just be the reason. If you look at his video, the match pretty much stops the hole up unlike with the Q2s. Mine always blow the match clear so you know there's gotta be some lost pressure. I didn't know about the smaller diameter drilled screws, but I think it sounds good. It'll probably still blow the match out, but more of the pressure will be used to move the piston. Maybe I'll make a few and do some experiments.

I like these line cutters. They are much more reliable than the ones I used to make and always, always, always test new techniques and equipment on the bench before you count on them to save your rocket.

Pax,

Ed

On 12/27/2012 10:25 AM, Jeff Gortatowsky wrote:
Think it was Ed that turned me on to the device a few months ago. Guess I'll just echo what he said. :) I pass my protector through the shock cord not the chute lines. I use a tad more BP (like 50% more - because Ed told me to!). I retain the cutter with kevlar string attached to the shock cord. I don't rely on the e-match to retain it.

Regard Q2G2, I've used them on two flights and they worked fine. The other flight was an old BlackSky Hi-Ri. The seller now has a screw cap with a smaller hole specifically for the Q2G2s as before the bigger hole allowed BP to leak out around the wire. (You can read about varying e-match wire widths and what to do about it on the seller's web site). Before I got Q2G2 caps, I used the caps with the bigger screws by literally fattening up the Q2G2 wires with a strand of CAT5 wire spiraled wound around it for an inch or so and a tiny piece of scotch tape..

I've bought extra caps and have two or three always prepped as Ed mentioned, with a Q2G2 and hot melt glue dabbed on the cap screw to seal it.
Web site: http://lkal32.blogspot.com/p/archetype-rocketry-products.html

---------------------------------------
Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo: indanapt "(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 15:09:42 -0800
From: indanapt@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Small DD altimeters...
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The instructions to the Defy Gravity Tether have a rough picture of a burrito style wrap.
http://www.defyg.com/rapid.pdf
I've used the Archetype Cable Cutter three times now and always use this 'burrito' method of wrapping. You wrap the chute in the protector as if you were making a burrito. One end, the bottom, of the protector is folded under, then rolled up with the chute attachment sticking out the top. You wrap the chute/protector in a ty-wrap and run it through a hole in the cutter and cinch it tight. Another side benny is you can cinch it really tight so it fits into a tube easier. You want the whole thing to 'pop' open when the ty-wrap is cut. With a cable cutter IMO, you lose half the complexity and time of Dual Deployment. I motor eject the bound up chute and at 500' the cable is cut and the main unfurls. The Defy Gravity Tether and Tether Descender work about the same. The Archetype cutter is very small and uses an internal piston to cut a thin ty-wrap that is keeping the chute bound up. (Just use .2gm of BP instead of .1gm) :) Of course motor ejection at apogee still has it's issues. And if the charge does go off but the rocket did not split apart, well, its a lake stake. Nothing however stops you from using two charges in the same compartment, one to fling out the cinched laundry and the other to unravel it.
---------------------------------------
From: ENHolmberg@xxxxxxx <mailto:ENHolmberg@xxxxxxx> <ENHolmberg@xxxxxxx <mailto:ENHolmberg@xxxxxxx>>
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 8:04 AM
In a message dated 12/25/2012 7:27:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, bicyclop@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bicyclop@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    Howdy Jeff,

    Most trackers do operate on ham frequencies. It's easy to get a
    technician license. The Raven altimeter uses a 110mAhr battery and
    fires Q2G2 matches reliably. They're going to draw less than 2
    amps at 4 volts.  I flew my red Formula 54 on it, /*burrito
    style*/, on Saturday. I had a BigRedBee beacon in it and used my
    homemade yagi to DF it about two miles away. Those winds aloft
    were vicious. Josh flew his extended Formula 75 with one and with
    a BigRedBeeGPS. He has a Yeasu  VX-8GR with built in GPS and APRS
    packet decoding and walked straight to it. Having a handi-talkie
    to call for help isn't a bad idea when you're walking around out
    in the desert.

Ed, What is */burrito style?/*