[roc-chat] Re: Amateur radio at rocstock

  • From: rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:34:58 -0700

I don't have any 222 gear.  Would my dad's old Remington .22 LR work?

 - Rick "10-4 on the 30-30" Dickinson

On 2013-05-20 14:30, David Smith wrote:
I think that 146.535 is fine for 2meter  simplex on the lake bed.

As for repeaters to talk in along the various highways, there are
some wide coverage repeaters the might be useful.

I know there is a Big Bear repeater that has wide coverage on our
side of the mountains. Also a machine for Apple Valley that might
work.

If many folks have 222 gear the Edison Amateur Radio Network has a
number of repeaters linked together that covers pretty much all of
SoCal, southern Nevada, and western Arizona. If anyone is interested I
can provide details.

I can look through my notes, and try to suggest a local repeater,
unless someone has a favorite.

We may want to see what repeaters have good coverage of the lakebed
and approach routes.

Congrats 0n the PADI cert! (I am NAUI myself...)

Dave
 W6DPS

On May 20, 2013 1:24 PM, <rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And, I'm now back from vacation.  (Cancun was awesome, thanks for asking.  I'm now PADI certified as an Open Water scuba diver, and have an underwater housing for one of my cameras, which should both come in reeeeeeal handy out on the lake bed....)

In any case, I need to request the help and expertise of the ROC Ham Community(tm).  I was originally given those frequencies by Leslie Seiders, but I, too, have never heard a peep on either one while monitoring from the lake bed.  I have heard a rumour (as of now unsubstantiated) that the repeater in question suffered a lightning strike at some point, and is down for the count.  However, I don't know of a better repeater or simplex frequency to recommend that ROC hams use to contact one another.

To keep things simple, perhaps we ought to do a bit of testing on-site at ROCstock, and update the page to list *just* a single repeater that we're able to verify is reachable from the lake bed, so that everyone will be able to monitor and use a single frequency to contact each other.  Less confusion, and more likely to result in successful contacts as people drive to and from the lake bed, as well.

Are there any high desert hams here who could help steer us to a good solution?

Thanks,

 - Rick Dickinson

On 2013-05-15 09:48, Allen Farrington wrote:

Rick Dickinson handles that page on the website and he's on vacation right now.
Allen

Allen H. Farrington - L3
ROC Director and Secretary
NAR 73474, Tripoli 12280
K6AHF
http://www.allenfarrington.org [1] [1]

On May 15, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Peter Grace <pcg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

At the May 11th club launch I tried calling on 146.535 and on 146.940(- 0.6/pl 91.5)

Nothing heard. No activity on those frequencies was heard either.

Is the info on the club website still accurate?

What will be used at Rocstock 37?

73 de AI6PG Peter DM04pg

Links:
------