[roc-chat] Re: 3-D rocket parts printing

  • From: Mike & Nancy Kramer <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:07:44 -0700

Me and the boy, just finished building a 3D printer, doing some trials now.

For me, i'm planning on making avionics bays using it.

Mike K

On 8/31/2014 9:45 PM, Bandman444@xxxxxxxxx (Redacted sender bandman444@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
I've used 3D printing a couple times for rockets. Some complex fin profiles. Scale Nike fins. Integrated fincans. And custom altimeter sleds.

3D printing is a great technology and I can't wait to own my own printer so I could stop mooching off my schools.

Bryce Chanes
Full-time Student/Musician/Eagle Scout/Rocket Scientist

On Aug 31, 2014, at 8:59 PM, Brian Barney <rocketbarney@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rocketbarney@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

3d printing would be a great way to form difficult shapes, such as a von-karmen nosecone profile for a mold, or even as a finished part.

-Brian Barney

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM, David Smith <davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have been thinking about it. Actually, I have been trying to
    come up with a way go justify setting up a 3D printer...

    They seem pretty cool. If you search for the word rocket in
    Thingiverse there are a lot of interesting things...

    Dave Smith
    NAR 78668, L2
    Amateur Extra, W6DPS

    On Aug 29, 2014 2:05 PM, "Sergei Sapozhkov" <msergeim@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:msergeim@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Are we going to start 3-D printing our rocket parts?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/29/6083275/nasas-3d-printed-rocket-part-survives-6000-degree-test-firing