[roc-chat] Re: 2.6" fiberglass Nike Apache kit

  • From: Terry McKiernan <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 09:32:27 -0700

Also here is a thread where someone did this build, albeit with a lot more customization and effort than I put into it :)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/cjs-builds-madcow-nike-apache-2-stage.143897/

Terry

On 7/20/2021 8:48 AM, Terry McKiernan wrote:

Chris,

I bought the 2.6" version around the same time and worked out how to assemble it using the time-honored method of online searching and guesswork, followed by a certain amount of disassembly and reassembly of the center section.  One picture attached; I can send you more if you like.

One note: I added the electronics bay, according to my order history on Madcow's site.  Hard to see in the picture but there's a Raven3 on one side and a Missileworks T3 on the other.  I forget how I have it sequenced in the Raven setup but basically the Raven ignites the upper motor (separate LiOn battery for that to ensure enough juice) and the fires the lower stage ejection charge, with the lower motor's own ejection charge as backup ~4 seconds later.

The upper stage relies on the motor charge only to release the parachute.  The nose cone will hold a 2nd altimeter and BigRedBee beacon.  I am a little worried about using the Bee in the upper stage since this rocket could go pretty high, so I might get a 2nd T3 instead to have more power (250mw vs. 100mw) and tracking.  Not sure if it will fit however.  If it's too tight I could move the 2nd altimeter down into the upper stage body tube, dangling from the upper shock cord attachment.

Caveat: due to the pandemic, I haven't been out to the lakebed in a year and a half, so while I have ground-tested the electronics, this model has never flown.

Terry

On 7/19/2021 9:19 PM, Chris Feenstra (Redacted sender chris.feenstra for DMARC) wrote:

Does anyone have any diagrams and/or instructions for the 2.6" fiberglass Nike Apache kit that I bought on sale from Madcow Rocketry in July 2019?

Chris Feenstra

NAR #61291

Tripoli #9123

Level 2