[roc-announce] ROC's March Launch is this Saturday

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, roc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:36:43 -0800

Fellow ROC Members,

A quick reminder: this Saturday (March 10, 2012) is the next ROC Launch.
Projected weather conditions appear to be acceptable for launching.  Generally
speaking, the best flying conditions prevail in the morning hours; current
forecasts call for moderate "W" from the SW during the day in the 5-10 MPH
range.  (It's still early in the week, so this forecast is preliminary and
subject to change.) Mostly sunny skies are expected with overnight lows in the
upper 30's and daytime highs in the upper 60's.  Portable toilets should be
delivered on site by Friday for the convenience of those camping overnight.
Despite the cool weather, be sure to bring (and drink) plenty of water to avoid
dehydration, and wear a hat, sunglasses, and sunblock to avoid getting burned.
The desert is a dry and sunny place, even in the winter.

Stay tuned to this list for further updates concerning launch plans and the
weather later this week.  As always, we can use your help with range setup and
afternoon teardown. The more setup help we have, the quicker things will go,
and the better we can take advantage of those prime morning flying hours, so
please plan on coming out early to help if possible!  Thanks to the efforts of
Richard Dierking, we hope to have most of the setup done Friday evening in
preparation for an early Saturday start, but we always need volunteers to keep
the range running.

Overnight camping is allowed as usual, but be sure to keep all campfires in
above-ground containers to comply with BLM rules, and pack your ashes and wood
debris out with you when you leave.  Let's always try to leave the playa a
little cleaner than we found it.

Let's fly rockets!  We'll see you on the lake bed!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC Board Member - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088