[roc-announce] ROC's December Launch is this Saturday

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, roc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 14:56:47 -0800

Fellow ROC Members,

A quick reminder: this Saturday (December 8, 2012) is the next ROC Launch, and
the final chance of the year to burn some AP and do Christmas shopping with
Santa Garibaldi. Extended weather forecasts appear encouraging for the launch.
Our current series of rain storms should have cleared out, bringing clear skies
and moderate temperatures.  Overnight lows will be in the mid 30's and daytime
highs will be in the mid 60's under mostly clear skies.  Current forecasts are
a bit unclear on wind directions and speeds, but as usual it is expected the
best conditions will be in the early morning, with speeds gradually increasing
after mid-morning.  Despite the cool temperatures, be sure to bring (and drink)
plenty of water to avoid dehydration, and wear a hat, sunglasses, and sunblock
to avoid getting burned.

We expect to have the equipment trailer on-site by 7:00 a.m. Saturday. The more
help there is in setting up the range, the quicker we'll be able to start
flying and taking advantage of the good morning air.  There's another issue we
need to bring up because it is important.  Our recent launches have seen a
distinct lack of volunteers to staff and run the range.  Up to now, we've
squeaked by on a skeleton crew of workers and mostly did not make good on
threats to close the range.  The Board is concerned that this is not a
long-term viable situation.  So we're going to get serious -- the range doesn't
open in the morning until range duty slots for the day are filled.  Period.
Don't make me call your mom.

SIGN UP HERE NOW:    http://mysignup.com/rocrangeduty

If you have an important flight you need to launch in the morning, twist your
friends' arms to sign up.  Peer pressure is a wonderful thing!  Don't let that
sign-up sheet be empty on Saturday morning.  A playa with rockets is a terrible
thing to waste!

And while we're nagging you… a word about trailer towing.  Our most recent
dependable tower of the club trailer has had to bow out for the indefinite
future due to vehicle problems.  We are most fortunate to have had a volunteer
step up to tow the trailer for the December launch.  But be advised that WE DO
NOT HAVE ANYONE YET SCHEDULED TO TOW in 2013!  We will not schedule a launch
without someone to tow the trailer.  Now would be a good time to think about
whether you or someone you know could help out during one or more months of the
coming year.

What does it take to tow the ROC trailer?  Basically, you need to have access
to a vehicle that can tow the 9000
lb. trailer the ~35 mile distance from Oak Hills to the launch site.  (We are
actively working to reduce the weight to 8000 lb. or less by off-loading excess
gear.)  The vehicle should be equipped with a good quality brake controller and
a square hitch receiver approximately 18" from ground level.  First-time tow
volunteers would be expected to shadow an experienced tower on one of the
preceding months in order to be trained and instructed. Volunteers who tow the
trailer are
reimbursed by ROC for all gasoline expenses.  Start acting now to ensure
uninterrupted ROC launches in the coming year!

For this month's launch, please let the board know in advance if you have any
large projects or unusual support requirements that we should know about.
Non-member daily launch fee is $15 and the paid-up member fee is $5.  Everybody
needs to register and get a wrist band to fly.  Overnight camping is allowed as
usual, but be sure to keep all campfires in above-ground containers to comply
with BLM rules, and pack your ashes and wood debris out with you when you
leave.  Let's always try to leave the playa a little cleaner than we found it.
Portable toilets should be delivered on site by Friday afternoon to support
overnight campers and setup.

Let's fly rockets!  We'll see you on the lake bed!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC Vice President and Board Member - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088