[riseholmebees] Re: Help with a WBC hive

  • From: VANESSA HUGHES <nesshughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riseholmebees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:31:06 +0000 (GMT)

I have now spoken to Thornes and discovered what the piece of wood is for.
Apparently it sits on the base of the hive inside the lifts, just inside the
entrance,and the brood box then butts up to it. I suppose it stops the bees
easily accessing the cavity between lifts and supers. They said not everyone
chooses to use them. So no need to worry if you don't have one!

Thanks, Vanessa

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:03:59 +0000
From: harvey.howson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: riseholmebees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#yiv1059496937 .ExternalClass DIV
{}

Steve & Vanessa
thanks for your encouragement, Jennie my other half said the same.
I had a ride out to thornes this morning only to find them closed there is no
christmas opening times on the door. I guess they will be open after new year
maybe Monday. They have got an internet only winter sale on at the
moment, follow the link at the top of their home page.
thanks again
Harvey

From: HARVEY HOWSON <harvey.howson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: riseholmebees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, 28 December, 2009, 15:43

#yiv1059496937 .ExternalClass #ecxyiv1774680030 DIV
{}

Hi Vanessa
seasons greetings
I bought an old WBC hive off a bloke just down the road from me, it needs a bit
of work to get it usable again hopfully i should have it ready for early spring
to house my new bees. I cannot think what your mistery bit of wood is I have
not got one and i am know worried in case i need one.
If you go to this web site it may give you a better idea. They are plans for a
wbc hive.
http://www.beesource.com/files/10frwbcm.pdf

oooo by the way I have not joined the BBKA yet. One of the reasons being after
meeting the bee inspector owner of croft aparies norton disney at the sausage
festival late Oct early Nov I was starting to doubt weather i had done the
right thing even concidering keeping bees to say he was not encouraging was an
understatement. Anyway he suggested the best regional branch to join would be
Brigg and would be worth the travel. due to the distance i would have to travel
to brigg it would be difficault going to meetings. My idea was to join the bbka
on line and join riseholme when it is up and running. If any one has any advice
on this matter would they please let me know. I hastened to add that after my
other half had given me a stiff talking to and said I was daft for
even concidering giving up bee kepping before i had even started on account of
one miserable bugger. I am even more determined to keep bees.

Happy new year to everyone.
Harvey ( the quiet one that didnt say much on the course )
ps thanks to Steve for setting up this forum.