[riscosweb] Re: Links in HTML

  • From: Sendu Bala <sendu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscosweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:31:28 +0100

John Williams wrote:
I had noticed that I could seemingly 'shortcut' a URL such as:

        http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/internet.php

as:

        http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/internet/

and it would still 'work'.

It was as if it was being interpreted as if the intended page were an index
page in a directory with that name.

However, I've subsequently found that doing this seems to make the server
think that any links on the page are relative to this non-existent
directory 'internet', adding it into the path for any relative links.

So, although this works as a 'shortcut' method of writing a URL - and I
wonder why it does - it has this distinct drawback of breaking links.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Can anyone explain why it does
work as it does (certainly on an Apache server)?

It's behaving like this most probably due to a dodgy url-rewrite or other kind or redirect, set up so that internet* -> internet.php. I imagine this is supposed to make this work as an address:
http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/internet
which is desirable, hiding the fact that it is a .php file (allowing you to change it to .pl or .html etc. in the future without breaking people's bookmarks).

Then again, all the links are hard-coded with .php, so maybe it was just some accident.