[riscos-python] Python 3.8.5 and packaging testing

  • From: Chris Johns <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 09:48:40 +0100

Hello

I've updated the RISC OS port to Python 3.8.5 and the latest release of GCC for RISC OS. I've started playing around a bit with packaging it so it can be installed with PackMan rather than downloading a zip file. As this is a work-in-progress I've not released any packages to the main servers yet, while I iron out any bugs.

If anyone wants to try it, add the following source to your PackMan setup:

http://packages.lessthan3.org.uk/pkg/testing

Refresh the lists and you should see Python.

A word of warning for any early adopters - at the moment pip isn't supported on 3.8.5. It might just copy over, but I want to make that it's own package in PackMan. There are also some issues with pip I need to address. It's on the list.

Please let me know if you find any issues - especially with dependencies. I've tried to make the 'Requires' list what it needs to run, and the suggested list what various things might need.

Thanks

Chris