[rhillsqd] Re: Definition of Deviation

  • From: "Larry Gaum" <lgaum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rhillsqd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 05:15:26 -0800

>that "DEVIATION" is:- the angle, on a particular >heading, by which a
>boat/ship/craft's magnetic compass differs from magnetic >North.
Keith's definition is absolutely correct.  So is Harald's.

North is used in the definition as a matter of remembering that in order to
describe all measurements(ie. angles, directions etc.), we must begin these
measurements somewhere.  In order to set some standardization for all to
follow, this somewhere is deemed to be North.  Having established this, we
must also remember that no matter what direction we are travelling
(heading), Deviation is still to be considered.
Example:  Magnetic Heading of 040 degrees.
                Compass Heading of 045 degrees
We therefore have a Deviation, or an angular difference of 5 degrees, whose
direction is WEST.
TVMDC >  add West

Larry Gaum

     List Home page