[retroforth] Re: Request for Linux specific words

  • From: "Helmar Wodtke" <helmwo@xxxxxx>
  • To: retroforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:31:23 +0100

retroforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 19.01.05 20:49:58:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to make following requests for Linux
>
> argc (  -- n )    |  put the number of arguments on the stack
> argv ( n -- a # )  | put the address and count on the stack
I agree. I would like to have it in UPPERCASE to mark the exceptionality of
this words as they would have on a standalone system. One open question is: how
to define ARGV and ARGC? Like with C-conventions (all strings as Asciiz) or
something else?

> bye ( n -- )  | allow to set the return code

Yes.

> -or-
> ret ( n -- )
> : bye 0 ret ;

No.

> pipe ( -- fd1 fd2 )

? No. Since there are portability problems.

> system ( a # -- n )
> " bash -c ls" system

Yes and no. At least a word "system" should do what you are saying.

> read-file ( n fd -- a # )

No. This would not be the only word needed. I also think there is still some
existing work to make such a functionality available as an option.

> Personally I prefer to read from a file descriptor, then a name.
>
> load ( a # -- n )     | load commands from a file

I dont think so.

Bis dann,
Helmar
helmwo@xxxxxx