[retrochallenge] Re: An endurance winner's view & simple rule suggestions.

  • From: Cory Wiegersma <cory5412@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:56:58 -0700

So the purpose isn't to recruit new people, and/or to get more people, and continue being interested in retro computers?

If not... then what is the interest? because if the thought is that I owned a q840av or anything else even older when they were new... somebody, somewhere, is VERY mistaken...

i don't think that the retrochallenge has to be an out of the ordinary experience... especially for those of us who are currently using the older computers for something, as an example, I am currently using my 840av for a few writing and graphics projects. And, for what it's worth, I fully intend to continue use of my 840av or other macs after the retrochallenge, not ony because I like retro computers, but I like using them, I think it's a very different, and a very *good* experience to turn on an older computer, and slow down a bit, and THINK about what you're doing... rather than just doing stuff, because you can.

I do agree that "I spent x number of hours hanging out at a web forum posting crap" isn't necessarily a valid use of the time... and shouldn't count, and when I was talking about eliminating the points, my justification was, even if you spend 2 hours programming on your atari 800XL, I can almost always spend more time web-browsing or chatting on my 840av, and get more points, and win the "endurance" part of the competition, because I just used the 840av the same way I use my powerbook.
On Jun 22, 2006, at 12:42 PM, MJMahon@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 6/22/2006 6:17:49 AM Pacific Standard Time, GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx writes:

" Possibly useful, for newbies who don't realize that word processing worked
just fine before you could pick fonts.  But the source of a real backlash
if you come on like an Atari 800 is a good substitute for a modern machine
when doing your on-line banking! "

   I've bought things on ebay with an Atari 800 and written on my xanga blog.  Does that count?  :)

I don't doubt that it's possible.  I was just saying that it wouldn't be particularly
appealing to someone who was being introduced to the idea of older machines.

But I see that isn't your motivation...

" A laudable purpose--but one best served by actual creation, not by mere
activity.

*Write some code.  Solve a problem.  Distribute your solution.*

Being able to say "I spent x hours reading crap at crap.com" doesn't seem
to me to be a very creative or productive use of time.  It reminds me of what
amateur radio became--a bunch of guys sitting around talking to their
counterparts around the globe about their rigs--and little else.  (And look
where amateur radio is today... ) "

   LOL!  Here is why I like the retrochallenge idea...

1) A month of something different.
2) A month where you, a liker of older computers, are joined by other fans doing the same.
3) A month where you are challenged to put away the gadgets and widgets of now.
4) A month where you find if you could exist if those things were not around.
5) A month where you discover if you really need to do as many activities.  :)

   Will a older computer have the processing power of the newer computers?  No.  Really I would not try to say that an Atari 800 is as good as a G5 though on a base level they are similar.

  When I think of this event, I think of dozens of people all firing up their retromachines, all rediscovering old games, or old projects they had left on those computers.  Or maybe rediscovering ideas and concepts introduced by those older computers that could be used in the here and now but were just too far ahead of their time then, or just overstepped for another, not neccessarily better, idea.

   And this time it is very important that while we are all doing this that we hang out on a BBS and talk about what we have going on.  Misery loves company as it were.  :)

OK, I get it.

Then this really doesn't apply to me, since I use my older machines all the time,
and not using them would be like holding my creative breath.

I misunderstood the purpose--which I supposed might be to recruit more people
interested in older machines, so that thirty years from now, they aren't all either
landfill or unpowered museum exhibits.

Have fun!

-michael