[relug] Exec Shield kernel patch

  • From: Luca Bigliardi <shammash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RElug <relug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 14:51:01 +0200

- by Ingo Molnar -
We are pleased to announce the first publically available source code
release of a new kernel-based security feature called the "Exec Shield",
for Linux/x86. The kernel patch (against 2.4.21-rc1, released under the
GPL/OSL) can be downloaded from http://redhat.com/~mingo/exec-shield/

The exec-shield feature provides protection against stack, buffer or
function pointer overflows, and against other types of exploits that
rely on overwriting data structures and/or putting code into those
structures. The patch also makes it harder to pass in and execute the
so-called 'shell-code' of exploits. The patch works transparently, ie.
no application recompilation is necessary.

from newsforge:
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/05/02/1914223

ciao
        Luca

--
I will use Google before asking dumb questions.
I will use Google before asking dumb questions.
I will use Google before asking dumb questions.

        Bart Simpson

Linux Registered User # 286841