[regional_school] Re: Why Boys Fail - interview with Richard Whitmire

  • From: neilcho@xxxxxxx
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:35:17 -0400

 Hi everyone,
The issue of gender gaps discussed in the Richard Whitmire piece is a very
interesting phenomenon, and one that I've been aware of in a different context
for well over a decade.
If one just focuses on high-ability or high-achieving students, the gender gap
has been very evident for a very long time. In my job as a gifted ed teacher, I
was often struck by the gender biases of teachers as one factor in this
situation. When asked to select their best readers for an enrichment group in
language arts, the 1st and 2nd grade teachers in my school (all females) would
collectively pick a cohort of students who were 80-90% girls. And when asked to
do the same for math/science, they would pick a group that was 70-80% boys.
While I recognized their choices might have been somewhat reflective of the
performance of students in their classes (or not), I felt it important to press
them to try to balance their choices. But this proved harder than I expected.
In fact, despite repeated discussions about this issue, I still had to remind
teachers of this disparity every year for 15 years, on the assumption that
their choices in this matter were also sending a message to students about
gender roles and expectations.
The most interesting aspect of this situation, however, emerged in a comparison
of this teacher-selected group versus the group of students who received
enrichment in 5th grade, where participation depended on performance on a
variety of indicators (pre-assessments, standardized tests, portfolio work,
etc.) that were used to identify students, with only a minor role played by
teacher opinion. Using this identification model, the children identified for
language arts enrichment ranged from 60-70% girls, while in the 1990s, the
numbers were reversed for math.  (Note: This led to a set of girls-only groups
in math and science, both at a few Penfield schools and at institutions of
higher learning, like RIT and U of R.)  However, starting around 2000, I began
to notice that while the gender numbers did not change for language arts, but
began to change for math. In fact, from 2003 to my retirement 2009, we ran 6
5th grade math enrichment groups per year (with re-identification for each
group) and I never had a group that was over 50% boys. I had several that were
50-50, but most were predominantly girls, ranging from 55% to a high of 90% in
one instance.
As a result of these experiences, I began to question what was happening to our
boys in school and, in a larger sense, in our culture. Was it a question of
"boyness" being in conflict with the culture and behavioral expectations of
school? Was it a question of curricular changes that fit the developmental
patterns of girls better than boys (as posited by this article)? Was it a
question of adult gender expectations and biases? Or, lastly, was it a question
of gender enculturation and shifts outside of school that made boys less
successful in school than previous boys AND/OR current girls (not the same
thing, and something that needs to be parsed out)?  I didn't have any way to
produce a definitive answer to any of these questions, but I was pretty sure we
had to do something to respond to this widening gap.
In light of the last paragraph, I think it is obvious that one of my quibbles
with the depiction offered by the Richard Whitmire interview is the assumption
that "something is happening in schools" to cause all this. He may be right,
but I think it is an open question whether this is the root cause. Moreover, as
a secondary quibble, I find it strange that his analysis is founded on state
tests and their definitions of proficiency (which he points out are flawed, and
then uses anyway).  Equally, I find it a frightening trend that all educational
systems and many educational researchers seem to have bought into the NCLB
assumption that the quality of education, in any of its programs or dimensions,
can be defined by how well America's schools are meeting some kind of minimum
standard. For many of our children, this is simply a disaster. I can tell you
that the children I taught, and many others I met in full-class push-in
enrichment units, should be labeled as failing in relation to their talents and
achievements if all they could do is achieve a proficiency level on state
tests. Or, to put it another way, our schools should be deemed as failing a
large number of their students if all they do is get as many children as
possible to that proficiency level.
Whatever position one takes on all these issues, it is paramount to remember
that education is about the distance a child travels in skills, understandings,
and mental/emotional development from where they began to where they end up. It
is not about meeting a standard, since for some that requires too long a trip
(in the time allotted) and for others it requires no trip at all.
Thanks for listening.
Best, Neil