[regional_school] Re: Update

  • From: Dan Drmacich <dandrmacich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:38:02 -0800 (PST)

Bill, Do you want  me to share this with our CCSE list-serve?

Dan

:

From: William Cala <wcala9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [regional_school] Update
To: "regional" <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 8:07 PM

#yiv406527060 p {margin:0;}

We are nearly complete with the first phase of planning for the Regional
School.  I have one last meeting with one of the planning teams next week.
After that I will be planning a general meeting to discuss our progress.  It is
my intent to have committee chairs update us on the fine work that has been
done by all Curriculum, Advisory, Social Justice and Discipline committees.

There are a number of areas that will now need to be addressed:  teacher
selection, union representation, governance, transportation and others.  We
will aggressively tackle these areas this winter.

On a related topic, I have been following the issue of mayoral control with
great attention and serious concern.  The Regional Academy is a school built on
the pillars of social justice, civil rights and participatory democracy.
Mayoral control is the antithisis of these important principles.  Over the past
year I have reached out to the mayor without response.  This past week I have
sought advice from  friends whose opinions and guidance I respect.  I have
written a substantial essay on this topic and I have been debating whether or
not to make it public.  My major conceern is that the legislation for the
Regional School would be stalled or killed as a result of speaking in
opposition to mayoral control (The same bill drafters of the Regional Academy
appear to be the principal parties who will draft the bill for mayoral
control).

The speed at which the movement for mayoral control appears to be heading
toward Albany has created an urgency to respond.  After much soul-searching and
careful thought I do not feel that I can permit this assault on democracy
without putting up a fight.

We are creating a school whose major role is to produce good citizens who will
forward not thwart democracy.  To remain silent is not an option for me.
Silence is democracy's most strident enemy.  As a result, this evening I have
decided to fight.  I have sent my essay to City Newspaper.  You can read it
at:
http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/news/articles/2010/01/COMMENTARY-Mayoral-control-doesnt-work-and-is-wrong/

I will also be on Bob Smith's 1370 Connection on January 29th @ 1 p.m. and will
be speaking before City Council on Tuesday evening at 7 p.m.

If you agree that the urban poor of the City of Rochester should not be
disenfranchised by losing the right to vote for school board members (as it is
city residents cannot vote for their budget, a right suburban residents enjoy)
I ask that you speak out and let your voices be heard.

Another excellent analysis of the mayoral control crisis in Rochester is at:
http://www.smugtownbeacon.com/news.php?viewStory=430

Thanks for understanding.

Bill