[regional_school] School Name

  • From: Dan Drmacich <dandrmacich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Regional School <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:41:11 -0700 (PDT)

On behalf of the Social Justice Committee, I'm going to go one step further
with the school name, by suggesting one & giving several reasons for suggesting
it: "The School of Social Justice"
1. The reasons for Bill starting the "regional school" have deep
roots connected to social justice issues; specifically related to current
racial education segregation, the inequity of funding for low-socio-economic,
urban schools, and the injustices done to kids through standardized curriculum,
pedegogy and assessment. The school hopefully will be designed to counter each
of these social justice inequities and others.
2. Hence, all aspects of the school; mission, beliefs,goals, curriculum,
pedegogy, organization and assessment will reflect social justice; just as the
committee & consensus approach to designing the school are currently doing.
3. Social Justice and related sub-themes are naturally compelling,
interdisciplinary and intrinsically motivating for students to address, i.e.,
How do we solve the problems of violence? Should all school districts
participate in the Urban Suburban Transfer Program? What can we do to eliminate
world hunger? Is the death penalty fair & just? What can we do to have all
parents be "Good Parents?" Should women have the right to abortion on demand?
etc. etc.
4. Associating the school with "social justice" makes the school staff,
students, parents, community, etc. responsible & accountable for demonstrating
that they are working effectively toward promoting and achieving social justice
through all dimensions of the school.
5. The name is a natural draw for students & parents. Who can argue with a
school for social justice?
6. It's a courageous, gutsy name; demonstrative of good citizenship; something
that makes the school stand out & stand for something in addition to "learning."

The Social Justice Committee invites your response.