[regional_school] Professional Development Opportunity

  • From: Dan Drmacich <dandrmacich123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Adam Urbanski <urbanski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Hetland <phetland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Margaret Sergent <msergent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Gillette <tgillett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Abigail McHugh-Grife <abigailmchugh@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Aggie Seneway <aseneway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Amy Socash <asocash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ann Carmody <ann.carmody2012@xxxxxxxxx>, C Montecalvo <cmontecalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Cindy Harrison <cindy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danielle Elliott <d.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, E Weinpress <eweinpress2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Emmy Thevanasan <Ethevanesan@xxxxxxxxx>, F Cafarella <fcafarella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Grania Marcus <grania_marcus@xxxxxxxxx>, J Kozlowski <jkozlowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Bearden <bearden@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan McDonald <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Janet Waasdorp <jwaasdorp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeriesson Pichardo <jeriesson.pichardo@xxxxxxx>, Jessie Gocker Nimeh <jgnimeh@xxxxxxxxx>, Joanne Esse <essehaus@xxxxxxxxx>, Joel Helfrich <helfrich@xxxxxxx>, Joyce Kostyk <kostykj@xxxxxxxxx>, K Burkwit <KBurkwit001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marilyn Monkelbaan <mmonkelbaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Anne Banke <tbookkeeper@xxxxxxxxx>, Michelle Palermo Briggs <michellepb08@xxxxxxxxx>, Nancy Stanton Multer <nsmulter@xxxxxxx>, Nicole Galbraith <nicole.galbraith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, P Nordquist <pnordquist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Allen <allen.robert.e@xxxxxxxxx>, Schmitt <schmitty8@xxxxxxx>, Regional School <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:14:33 -0400

Dear Rochester-area Teachers,

One of my major concerns about education is that few of today's educators
and administrators have a working knowledge of
constructivist/learner-centered theory and methodologies, despite the
volumes of research that support its use for developing basic and
higher-level skills that students need for their development as responsible
citizens. There is little doubt in my mind that the current values being
emphasized in our schools for both teachers and students are conformity,
obedience and passivity, rather than creativity, critical thought and
active involvement. Much of this phenomena is, according to many
researchers, the result of the impact of high-stakes, standardized testing
demands on teachers & students, and the resulting "teach-to-the-test"
methods that teachers and principals feel they are coerced to use. Given
this kind of educational climate, one of the key questions that emerges is:
"Are there some teaching & learning methods that teachers could incorporate
into their regular lessons that would not only help students develop basic
and higher-level skills, good citizenship, and bring more joy back to the
classroom, but also help raise test scores?" The volumes of research
associated with constructivism and learner-centered education theory
strongly indicates that its methodologies will not only help students and
teachers meet these goals, but also help teachers improve on their APPR
ratings, since the NYSED rubrics require a demonstration of
student-centered methodologies. Although I am not by any means an APPR fan,
I feel it is important to note that variable.

As a result of these concerns, I have collaborated with the
Learner-Centered Institute, St. John Fisher College and BOCES I to bring a
one-day Constructivist/Learner-Centered workshop to Rochester at St. John
Fisher College, on Thursday. August 21st, from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. The cost
is $40/person, and includes lunch. Participants can expect to leave with at
least 10-15 teaching and learning strategies that they can apply to any
skill or content based lesson at any grade level. The lead facilitator for
the workshop will be Donald Mesibov, the Learner-Centered Institute
Director, and member of the St. Lawrence University Department of
Education, who has led these workshops for the past 23 years.

I encourage you and as many of your teachers as possible to attend, and
look forward to working with everyone that day. Incidentally, there is no
profit being made on this workshop. Registration fees are used to cover
expenses of facilitators, resources and lunches. We are only interested in
making things better for teachers and students.

Please see the link below for details.

Sincerely,

Dan Drmacich

Retired School Without Walls Principal

Preview attachment Constructivist Education Workshop-
Fixed.pdfConstructivist Education Workshop- Fixed.pdf921 KB
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=185bd29655&view=att&th=1476f83722b5f68b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=ad7f32fe335ed42f_0.1&safe=1&zw>