[regional_school] Re: College presidents just petitioned for mayoral control of schools

  • From: William Cala <wcala9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional school <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:07:47 -0500 (EST)

Re: Penikese Isand Schools....... as we have said from the onset with the
Regional Academy..... One student at a time!

Bill
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:01:43 -0500
From: wcala9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
control of schools

Thanks for your very insightful comments Gina.  We will continue to address
these important issues in our work with the Regional Academy and are near ready
to move into additional work groups.  Failure to deal with the pernicious
side-effects of poverty and inequality will never bring about the kind of
results we want for our kids.

And Keith, the boarding school idea is not crazy (initially expensive up-front)
but very successful.  Currently I am providing secondary education to about 125
HIV/AIDS orphans in Africa.  I send almost all of them to boarding schools.
There home lives are beyond the pale.  At school they have 3 square meals, safe
and comfortable accommodations and people who care for them.  All of our kids
in Africa are penniless yet most of our students perform in the top 25% of
their respective classes.

We don't understand investment in human capitial in this country.  Money
invested today saves signifcantly in the future.  Perhaps if we send kids to
boarding schools today, they will not be boarding for life in prison (USA is
the prison capital of the world).

Bill

From: Hursh, David <dhursh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
control of schools
To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 11:33 AM

Meg:

Good point. Of, if not an statement from the schools of education (some Deans
may be hesitant to get involved and/or go against their presidents), then from
faculty who are willing to sign on to a statement.

David

On 2/25/10 11:29 AM, "Meg Callahan" <mcallah5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gina,
Your message is a powerful one. I too thought the college presidents' statement
was unfortunate, especially given that most of those colleges/universities have
schools of education, whose faculty were apparently NOT consulted. I don't know
what I find more infuriating: the prospect of mayoral control OR the fact that
the expertise within schools of education was ignored.

It makes me wonder whether the area schools of education ought to come forward
with our own statement. I will bring this up at our next faculty meeting.

MITA Brain Based Center Web Site  at www.mitaleadership.com
<http://www.mitaleadership.com/>

--
David Hursh, PhD