[redwoodmen] FW: Regent Press announces Barry Spector's new book -- please forward to friends

  • From: barry spector <shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Barry Spector <shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:29:04 -0700

Regent Press announces the publication of a new book by Barry Spector:
Madness at the Gates of the City: The Myth of American Innocence

This is truly an original work. ­ Howard Zinn, author of A People¹s History
of the United States

The book looks at America through the lenses of Greek mythology, indigenous
wisdom and archetypal psychology. It shows how we enact old patterns that
cause us to subvert our goals, miss the deeper meaning in events and,
perhaps, fail to prevent our headlong slide into cultural collapse.

Dionysus was the Greek god of ecstasy, tragedy and madness. But that was
long ago. Or was it? After two millennia of Christianity and five centuries
of science, Dionysus ­ or his modern substitutes ­ persists in our
imagination as ³the Other.² He is everything that America has cast into the
shadows: woman, nature, the body and especially race. As such, he provides a
unique window into American history and culture, and especially the current
political madness.

Early white Americans developed literature, theology and political rhetoric
that over time gradually coalesced into narratives of new beginnings, heroic
destiny and good intentions. However, these stories veiled deep strains of
Puritanism, racism and imperialism, and they utilized the threat of dark
strangers ­ first Indians, witches and slaves, then communists ­ to provoke
our anxieties. After four centuries, fear of the Other, now as terrorists
and immigrants, still defines us as ³not them.²

Written in plain English, Madness At The Gates Of The City discovers a new
imagination for the future in very old ways of thinking: at the core, the
Other is ourselves. It should appeal to anyone interested in myth, Classics,
history, psychology or progressive politics. It will provide much new
insight for people searching for new ways to understand how we behave in the
world and what we might become. -- from the foreword by Robert A. Johnson,
author of We and Inner Work

?disturbing and evocative, mythologically wise and instructive?This is a
work that should be read by anyone who wants to make a difference. -- Jean
Houston, author of A Mythic Life

Our world lives, loves, suffers and triumphs by myth, often unseen and
unconsidered. In the tradition of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell, Barry
Spector makes myths come alive; he helps us in the desperately important
task of re-imagining our way. ­ Jack Kornfield, author of A Path With Heart

?might help us look more honestly at the false innocence that sustains our
illusions about the American dream and prevents our acknowledging its dark
underside. ­  Christine Downing, author of The Goddess

?echoes with penetrating ideas and mythic nuances. ­ Michael Meade, author
of The World Behind the World

?a devastating critique of contemporary America's attitudes towards the
imagined outsider. ­  Carl Ruck, Professor of Classics, Boston University

? Spector imagines a New America, one at peace with itself, its real self,
not its imagined self. ­  Mumia Abu-Jamal, author of Jailhouse Lawyers

Price: $22.00 plus $3.00 shipping

Read sample chapters and complete blurbs on our website:
www.madnessatthegates.com

Until September first you may order the book for immediate shipment directly
from:

Barry Spector
3751 Bay Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025

After that date, it will be available from www.Amazon.com or the publisher
(www.regentpress.net).

------ End of Forwarded Message

- For technical information about this list ,go to:
//www.freelists.org/help/index.html
- Redwood Men's Center webpage:
http://redwoodmen.org/
- Redwood Men's Center Administrative contact:
lyncon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Please be patient, a response may take a few days.)
- For technical issues related to this list:
cwa.2@xxxxxxxxx