[realmusicians] Re: Yamaha psr S-900

  • From: Gudrun Brunot <gbrunot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:45:24 -0800

Roy, well, yours truly has this keyboard. I'm not an expert, but I have some messages from Steve Spamer that I can send you.

I assume you do have the necessary instrument definition file installed.

Here is the material from Steve. I'm still a bit stuck on this very issue, but perhaps you are better at sleuthing through the confusion than I am.

Please read a couple of times to let it sink in! All of the below are really necessary to transmit and recieve midi data.

MIDI SET UP template FOR SONAR (clock)

1. Press function
2. Press "I" for midi.
3. Press "A" for all parts.
4. Press the 8 down button once to edit.
5. Press "B"for clock internal once.
6. Press the 8 down button once.
7. Tab left once.
8. Press the Up 8 button once.
9. To save, press exit once, tab right, press 6 down button then up 8 button for OK.

MIDI (TO RECIEVE DATA DIRECTLY TO WHAT IS SET ON THE KEYBOARD)

1. Press function.
2. Press "I" for midi, then "A" for all parts.
3. Press edit (8 down button).
4. Tab twice right to "recieve".
5. Press 3 down button 4 times (from song position), to get to "keyboard". This means midi data will trigger whatever is on the keyboard. . Please see below for the list of settings in this list: (these do not wrap).
A: Top is "off"
B: Song
C: Right 1
D: Right 2
E: Left
F: Keyboard
G: Style rhythm 1
H: Style rhythm 2
I: Style bass
J: Style chord 1
K: Style chord 2
L: Style pad
M: Style phrase 1
N: Style phrase 2
O: Extra part 1
P: Extra part 2
Q: Extra part 3
R: Extra part 4
S: Extra part 5

6. Press "exit" to go back, then tab right once to user, press 6 down button to save, then 8 up button for OK (F to confirm).

Setting up transmit.

1. Press function.
2. Press "I" for midi, then "A" for all parts.
3. Press edit (8 down button).
4. Tab once right to "transmit".

5.  Please read the next bit carefully:

Here's an example set up to transmit "right 1" on USB midi channel1.
Down twice on button 2 to "left1"
I can leave the button 3 up or down as it's already set to channel 2. You can change this of course if you want another channel, up or down to change. Button 4 up a number of times just to make sure it has a tick in it so it's turned on. Press down to turn this channel off
I would then follow the "save" button press's to save my template.
What buttons do (remember up to turn on down to turn off).
Button 1 up and down goes through a list of parts to change, but this seems to be a condensed list, like a shortcut.
Button 2 up and down goes through a list of parts to transmit.
Button 3 up and down goes through midi USB channels 1-16. (note: channels are usually set already. So, 1 down to "right1" will already be set on channel 1) Button 4 up and down turns the channel on or off (press up more than once to make sure, it doesn't wrap) up=on, down=off.
Button 5 up and down changes control change on or off.
Button 6 up and down changes program change on or off.
Button 7 up and down changes pitch bend on or off.
Button 8 up and down changes the aftertouch on or off.

List for button 1 up and down:
right 1
multi pad 1
style rhythm 1
song ch 1
song ch 16

List for button 2 up and down:
right 1
right 2
left
upper
lower
multi pad 1
multi pad 2
multi pad 3
multi pad 4
style rhythm 1
style rhythm 2
style bass
style chord 1
style chord 2
style pad
style phrase 1
style phrase 2
song ch 1
song ch2
song ch 3
song ch 4
song ch 5
song ch 6
song ch 7
song ch 8
song ch 9
song ch 10
song ch 11
song ch 12
song ch 13
song ch 14
song ch 15
song ch 16

List for button 3 up and down:
Midi USB off
1
2
and so on to 16.

6. Press "exit" to go back, then tab right once to user, press 6 down button to save, then 8 up button for OK (F to confirm).

SINQUEING TEMPO VIA MIDI

1. Press function.
2. Press "I" for midi.
3. Press the 8 down button to edit.
4. Press button B.
5. Press button 1 down once.
6. To save, press "exit", tab right twice to user, press the 6 down button, press the 8 up button and then "F" to update the template.

TO SWITCH BETWEEN PRESET AND USER MIDI TEMPO TEMPLATES

1. Press function .
2. Press "I" for midi.
3. Tab left for preset.
4. Then press button A to switch back to preset configuration.
5. To switch back to a custom midi template (SONAR), do the above but go to the user tab (right once).

Best of luck, and sorry I didn't respond earlier.. I am the one who is forever reading messages months after the subject has been dropped...

Gudrun

At 06:53 AM 1/15/2011, you wrote:
hi listers
would like to know how to set the psr s-900 so it behaves as a multi-timbral sound module when controlled from Reaper/Sonar/etc (each channel plays a different patch)?

is anybody using the s-900's on board sequencer?
any help and tips are deeply appreciated.
best
Roy.
<http://www.soundclick.com/tzackeek>www.soundclick.com/tzackeek