[realmusicians] Re: So Far, So Good!

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:36:20 -0500

DJX, so; you're saying that with 32 bit XP installed; the system is ignoring those 64 bit drivers I accidentally installed? The generic RealTech driver that I went to RealTech's website and found, was marked Win 2000 and Win XP 2003 32/64 There was only one .exe in the download, so I guess that particular driver senses whether it's a 32 or 64 bit system that's running.

Of course, it's a moot point anyway, since you don't find much XP 64 around.
That generic RealTech audio driver is working fine, no need to look for a better one than that. I really don't care if 8 channel surround sound is implemented or not, so the generic driver is fine, I only want it for screenreader speech anyway. As for the lack of the usual Windows dialog when a USB thumb drive is plugged in, it's not much inconvenience, USB transfers work anyway. I didn't disable plug and play, maybe it's just how this current motherboard reacted to XP 32.
Thanks for your expertise,
Indigo L

On 12/2/2011 4:33 PM, D!J!X! wrote:
Hi, you can't really use 64 bit drivers on a 32 bit OS, so I can certainly
tell you that your xp drivers are 32 bit. If you downloaded windows7 drivers
they must have been one of those generic packs which include drivers for
various platforms.
So you have nothing to worry about, those drivers are fine, if they work
then that's all that matters. 64 bit and 32 bit are 2 completely different
platforms, so I'm sure that the drivers won't work on one to the next,
unless they were 32bit drivers to begin with. You can use 32bit stuff on 64
bit (most times), but you can't use 64 on 32...

The USB issue you describe, if you're talking about flash drives and such,
it's the autoplay dialog. Did you disable it? Did you turn off services on
xp? Perhaps the plug and play service is disabled.

Regard background services, leave the processor scheduling for programs,
background services, though asio is a service, will not work well for Sonar,
cakewalk has tested to this fact already. That feature is more useful for
server  type systems anyway.

If that's xp 32bit, you probably will only see 3.5 to 3.75GB of RAM. XP
can't see a full 4, due to the way addresses and such are handed out on x86
systems. Disabling the page file should prove useful and helpful since
you've got ram maxed out.

HTH, D!J!X!