[realmusicians] Microphone shopping!

  • From: "D!J!X!" <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:46:38 -0500

Hey guys, next year one of the bands i play for is going to be recording a 5
piece demo. I'll be doing the recording and stuff, but we need to do some
mic shopping to get ready for the journey. Here are my questions.
I think it was the project C1 that was supposedly really good for vocals? Is
this still so? or does anybody else have recommendations for good vocal
mics?
Secondly, i need a good mic for percussion, as most of the recordings will
be latin jazz and latin tunes, we  need a good percussions mic, congas,
timbales, bongos etc. Should i shoot for an sm57 for this task?
Thirdly, the other remaining thing is the brass, i was thinking of a ribbon
mic, but not sure if that's the best alternative. So again, is there a
better choice, or are there any mics i should consider?
Hey Chris B, i remember you suggesting the audix i5 mics a while back, are
those good? What material are they good for? Also, if I want to use the
delta1010lt for this recording, what preamps could i possibly afford that'll
give me a good sound? I currently have an mp tube preamp, i think it's the
arp sometehing, it was a $50 preamp at musiciansfriend i got for christmas a
few years back... The budget for this project should be somewhere from
$600to $800. Any advice and/or suggestions appreciated...

THX, D!J!X!