[real-eyes] Re: what to do when a windows update has unintended consequences.

  • From: "jose" <crunch1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:38:13 -0500

Ok this is kind of long and has some screen shots. sorry cause I don't know
what they look like so can't tell you all about them. In any case the text
pretty much explaines them.
I wonder if the last update on tuesday took out my sound card.

this is the u r l.
http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly.aspx?p=1750206
Dealing with Fallout from Windows Update
By Ed Tittel

Date: Sep 19, 2011

Return to the article

Occasionally, Microsoft will push an update through its Windows Update
service that can cause unwanted or unexpected behavior on those Windows
systems. Ed Tittel, contributor to Windows 7 In Depth, explains how to
handle the occasional wobbles that sometimes follow in the wake of Windows
Update.

Occasionally, Microsoft will push an update through its Windows Update
service that can cause unwanted or unexpected behavior on those Windows
systems upon which such updates get installed. The July 2011 second Patch
Tuesday (July 26, 2011) offers an interesting case in point with an update
that affected users of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It was
associated with Knowledge Base article KB2544035 entitled "Microsoft
Security Essentials Update Package for July 26, 2011" (see Figure 1).

Figure 1 KB2544035 header from TechNet.

This Knowledge Base article mentioned that new features were added to the
program's command-line utility to specify a universal naming convention
(UNC) share, and to designate a custom scan of an entire folder. Some
mention is also made that "a fix was made to correct an access violation in
the antimalware software."

When Things Change, They May Also Break Something
What doesn't appear in the Knowledge Base article is something that became
quickly and painfully obvious after applying this update to systems running
MSE-namely, that the network(s) to which those machines were attached were
changed to Public status. By default, Microsoft attaches fairly stringent
security settings to such networks (they are open to anyone and everyone and
so pose legitimate security risks). When this status change occurred on my
office network, for example, I was no longer able to use Remote Desktop
Protocol (RDP) to access affected machines, nor could they access local file
and print shares.

As soon as these symptoms presented, I knew something had gone wonky with
networking. My immediate impulse was to right-click on the network icon in
the notification area in the system tray and open the Network and Sharing
Center. That's when this display appeared for each affected machine (see
Figure 2).

Figure 2 Set Network Location is available through the Network and Sharing
Center

The network location on all these PCs showed the network location as "Public
network," and immediately clued me in that something had reset the
configuration from the original "Work network" designation. Later that day,
at home, I saw that the "Home network" designation there had likewise been
reset to "Public network" as well.

In this particular case, the fix was trivial. All I had to do was to change
the reset designation back to its original value and network behavior
returned to normal-except for remote desktop protocol. I actually had to go
into the System Properties item in Control Panel, and toggle remote access
off (by selecting "Don't allow connections to this computer") then toggle it
back on (by selecting either of the "Allow connections." radio buttons on
that pane) to restore Remote Desktop access to its normal state (see Figure
3). Luckily for me, it took only a couple of minutes of trial and error to
arrive at this solution.

Figure 3 You can toggle remote access on and off in System Properties

Use Windows Troubleshooting for More Intractable Problems
Windows 7 includes a Troubleshooting item visible in either the small or
large icon view. This item includes categories for programs, hardware and
sound, network and Internet, appearance and personalization, plus system and
security. These tools can be invaluable when Windows issues crop up,
including problems that may manifest immediately after applying one or more
Windows Updates.

Figure 4 shows what the item for the Network and Internet category looks
like, with its half dozen network-related entries, and a printer
troubleshooter for good measure.

Figure 4 Network and Internet troubleshooting tools

To launch a troubleshooter, simply click one of the entries in the preceding
list, and it runs a series of tests and diagnostics that produce simple
feedback to suggest changes and fixes to users, and to gather data about
what's being observed. These aim at fairly naïve end-users, so IT pros may
want to turn to heavier artillery for help and information. That's where any
or all of the following resources can come in handy:

  a.. Windows 7: Troubleshooting and Support (TechNet) A comprehensive
troubleshooting reference with information on events and errors, core OS
issues, file services, core security, management infrastructure, networking
and more.
  b.. Using the Network Troubleshooter in Windows 7 (Microsoft.com)
Describes how to make best use of all the Windows Troubleshooters depicted
in Figure 4.
  c.. Windows 7 Troubleshooting - Known Root Causes (MSDN) Augments the
preceding articles and items with analysis of common root causes that the
built-in Windows 7 troubleshooter have found to be most likely to be
involved, from the standpoint of statistical likelihood (it's nice to know
Microsoft does something with the user experience data it collects).
  d.. Troubleshooting Windows 7 with Microsoft's Built-In Tools (Tom's
Hardware) Interesting war story on in-depth Windows 7 troubleshooting from
veteran computer industry writer Loyd Case.
Summary
With some time, and careful attention, the occasional wobbles that sometimes
follow in the wake of Windows Update can be handled. And remember: If worse
comes to worst and you can find neither a solution to your problems nor a
usable workaround, you can always open Windows Update, click on Update
History, then click on Installed Updates, then right-click your problem
update and select Uninstall from the resulting pop-up menu (most of the
time, it's your only option, in fact).

© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.

800 East 96th Street Indianapolis, Indiana 46240

Jose Lopez, President
Lopez Language Services, LLC

"We Speak Your Language"
Call us anytime at 888.824.3022