[real-eyes] getting files from an non-starting computer

  • From: sarah.jevnikar@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:24:09 -0400

Hi all,
Last night I got a blue screen error on my PC. This morning my
computer, once turned on, won't start but just emits a continuous tone
which changes pitch at regular intervals. I have no idea what could be
the issue. I assume it needs to be taken in to an expert, but is there
any way I can get files off it first? I have everything I need except
for three days worth of saved documents (less than 10 in total) but
the data they contain is important. Is there any way of getting them
onto my backup external hard drive before surrendering my computer for
an unknown length of time? I have a borrowed laptop which I'm using
now but I would really like those files if there's any way of getting
at them.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

a disgruntled Sarah Jevnikar