[real-eyes] Qread, Anyone Use This?

  • From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:48:53 -0500

Program costs $30.
http://q-continuum.net/qread/

QRead: The Accessible eText reader from the future!

It's no secret that the way that the world consumes books has been changing.
EBooks, once a niche market, have absolutely exploded in popularity. There
are hundreds of thousands of titles available in various formats these days,
ranging from childrens books to textbooks for postsecondary classes. For the
blind, this wealth of new material has offered a bit of a mixed blessing. On
one hand the amount of new content available to us truely cannot be
overstated.
But if you have any experience reading books as a blind person, you're
surely familiar with some of the problems we face:

? Books are in a variety of formats requiring many different applications to
open.
? There is no standard way of keeping your place in a book, especially if
your computer crashes!
? Navigation, especially by large amounts is often impractical.

For these and other reasons, I set out to develop QRead, which greatly
improves the book reading experience!

Supported formats

? PDF: QRead has industry leading PDF parsing support for extracting text
streams from PDF.
? EPub: Easy access to all textual content from an ePub file.
? Bookshare Daisy: Open both zipped and unzipped bookshare Daisy files with
support for requesting the bookshare user password.
? Microsoft Office Word 2007 DocX
? Microsoft Compiled HTML Help CHM files
? Plain text files