[real-eyes] NPR Story on Hybrid Cars

  • From: "Jim Fettgather" <jimkc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:59:50 -0500

concerns. Stanford graduates Bryan Bai and Everett Meyer have developed a
technology to make hybrid cars sound more like, well, cars. Their system uses
miniature, all-weather audio speakers that are placed on the wheel wells and
broadcasts specific sounds based on what the car is doing. "It sounds
essentially like a vehicle, except the sounds are more intelligently
projected," says Meyer, who along with Bai co-founded Enhanced Vehicle
Acoustics Inc. in Santa Clara, Calif. "If a person is in drive mode and moving
forward, the sounds are only projected in the forward direction," he tells
guest host Guy Raz.
"If the driver decides to turn left or right, the sound changes on the left or
right appropriately. So it minimizes noise pollution and maximizes
pedestrians. The system created by Bai and Everett's company, which was formed
with the help
notes, "there's a different between noise and sound, and we view our system as
producing sounds which have a purpose."

The article can be found, and streamed online, from here:
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId?751319