[real-eyes] Mobile Apps Invading Your Privacy

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 06:38:20 -0500

Mobile Apps Invading Your Privacy
by Tyler Shields
APRIL 5, 2011
Background
An
article in the Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703806304576242923804770968.html
, dated April 5, 2011, disclosed that Federal prosecutors in New Jersey
are investigating
numerous smart phone application manufacturers for allegedly, illegally
obtaining
and distributing personal private information to third party
advertisement groups.
The allegations state that mobile applications are gathering data such
as GPS location,
device identifiers, gender, and even user age without proper notice or
authorization
from the end user. The Journal tested 101 applications and found that 56
of them
transmitted the device unique identifier off the device, while 47
transmitted the
phone’s location. Five of the tested applications leaked personal
information such
as user gender and age.
Analysis
The folks at the Veracode research team decided to spend a bit of our
time today
breaking apart one of the accused applications to see what could be
found within
the code. Given what was written in the Journal article, we thought it
would be most
interesting to take an in-depth look through the Pandora application for
the Android
platform. A quote from the article states the following about the
Pandora application:
In Pandora’s case, both the Android and iPhone versions of its app
transmitted information
about a user’s age, gender, and location, as well as unique identifiers
for the phone,
to various advertising networks. Pandora gathers the age and gender
information when
a user registers for the service.
Our first step was to analyze the application using the Veracode
platform. We followed
up the automated static analysis with a manual analysis of the compiled
dex code.
The results were fairly interesting. The Pandora for Android application
appears
to be integrated with a number of advertising libraries. Specifically we
found FIVE
(yes that’s FIVE!) advertisement libraries compiled into the application:
AdMarvel
,
AdMob
,
comScore (SecureStudies)
,
Google.Ads
, and
Medialets
. Looking even closer, we analyzed each of the modules to determine the
type of data
they access.
The first library we decided to break apart was the AdMarvel and AdMob
libraries.
The AdMarvel library references the AdMob library fairly significantly.
AdMob in
particular accesses the GPS location, application package name, and
application version
information. Additionally there were variable references within the ad
library that
appear to transmit the user’s birthday, gender, and postal code
information. The
code snippets below are taken from a decompilation of the AdMob library
where GPS
locations are being gathered. As you can see in the code, the library
requests permissions
for both COARSE_LOCATION, and FINE_LOCATION data:
public static Location getCoordinates(Context unknown)
{
.... SNIP ....
String str1 = "android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION";
int m = unknown.checkCallingOrSelfPermission(str1);
.... SNIP ....
String str2 = "android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION";
int n = unknown.checkCallingOrSelfPermission(str2);
We can also see where the library actually attempts to capture GPS
location information
on a continuous looping mechanism:
int i4 = Log.d("AdMobSDK", "Trying to get locations from GPS.");
localObject2 = (LocationManager)unknown.getSystemService("location");
if (localObject2 == null) break label428;
Criteria localCriteria = new Criteria();
localCriteria.setAccuracy(1);
localCriteria.setCostAllowed(0);
localObject3 =
((LocationManager)localObject2).getBestProvider(localCriteria, 1);
.... SNIP ....
int i5 = Log.d("AdMobSDK", "Cannot access user's location. Permissions
are not set.");
.... SNIP ....
int i6 = Log.d("AdMobSDK", "No location providers are available. Ads
will not be
geotargeted.");
.... SNIP ....
if (Log.isLoggable("AdMobSDK", 3)) int i7 = Log.d("AdMobSDK", "Location
provider
setup successfully.");
AdManager.1 local1 = new AdManager.1((LocationManager)localObject2);
Looper localLooper = unknown.getMainLooper();
((LocationManager)localObject2).requestLocationUpdates((String)localObject3,
0L,
0.0F, local1, localLooper);
We also saw references to the user’s gender:
Object localObject = k; Gender localGender1 = Gender.MALE;
if (localObject == localGender1)
{
localObject = "m";
} while (true) {
return localObject;
Gender localGender2 = k;
Gender localGender3 = Gender.FEMALE;
if (localGender2 == localGender3) { localObject = "f"; continue; }
localObject = null;
And of course, access of the infamous Android ID value (android_id):
if (f == null) { Object localObject1 = unknown.getContentResolver();
localObject2 = localObject1;
localObject1 = Settings.Secure.getString((ContentResolver)localObject2,
"android_id");
The analysis into the remaining libraries resulted in even more of the
same. The
SecureStudies library accesses the android_id and directly sends a hash
of the data
to http://b.scorecardresearch.com while the Medialets library accesses
the device’s
GPS location, bearing, altitude, android_id, connection status, network
information,
device brand, model, release revision, and current IP address.
Conclusion
So what does this mean to the end user? It means your personal
information is being
transmitted to advertising agencies in mass quantities. As more and more
“free” applications
attempt to monetize their offerings, we will likely see more of your
personal information
being shuttled out to marketing and advertising data aggregation firms.
The application
developers may not even be aware of the privacy violations they are
introducing by
using third party advertising libraries. They may merely think they are
getting $x
per ad impression, not that the ad library is leaking significant
information about
the user.
In isolation some of this data is uninteresting, but when compiled into
a single
unifying picture, it can provide significant insight into a persons
life. Consider
for a moment that your current location is being tracked while you are
at your home,
office, or significant other’s house. Couple that with your gender and
age and then
with your geolocated IP address. When all that is placed into a single
basket, it’s
pretty easy to determine who someone is, what they do for a living, who
they associate
with, and any number of other traits about them. I don’t know about you,
but that
feels a little Orwellian to me.