[real-eyes] MagicJack.com Redux

  • From: "Reginald George" <sgeorge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:02:41 -0600

Got it installed and, it's a pretty amazing little device.  You can easily test
this without getting rid of your home phone.  The registration screens are
accessible if a little tricky.  Closest number I could get was in the 314 area
code out of Kirkwood MO.  More number will be available soon and when they are
you can switch for free.  You can set it up to forward calls to another phone
number if your computer is off.
The soft phone is somewhat accessible by just tabbing through the lists of
phone numbers and the dialing buttons which aren't all labeled but, you can
pretty much ignore it and handle all functions like call waiting from your
telephone.  Unfortunately, the three way calling will only work with two
incoming calls at this time which is interesting.  All the software for
installation comes on the device itself and loads automatically when you plug
it in.  The only real glitch I had during installation was my computer took it
as a USB sound card and suddenly jaws would only speak through my cordless
phone.  Luckily I realized very quickly what had happened by turning on my
phone and hearing jaws in my ear.  Going into sounds and audio devices and
setting my Audigy back as the default sound card remedied this issue.  I've had
no dropped calls.  I get a real dial tone and the sound is  great.  I love the
idea that I can plug this baby in when I'm in Brazil or somewhere and make
local calls anywhere in the United States and folks can call me at this number.
 I love the fact that I have a true phone line with all the bells for $20 a
year and that call waiting works and people see my  number.  I love that this
is a dedicated phone network with enhanced 911, not a peer to peer application
like Skype.  It will be wonderful if they come out with a version that can plug
directly into a router and not be dependent on a computer.  The device you plug
your phone into is very tiny, about the size of a USB Bluetooth adapter.  I
guess they can serve adds through the soft phone application but, I haven't
seen any.  I'm using auto sizer to minimize the window when it pops up because
of receiving or making a call.  One interesting note.  Berried deep  in the
terms and conditions was a comment that they might analyze the phone numbers
you dial to send you adds that were more targeted.  They then say they don't
save any of that information.  When you try to add a phone number as a contact
you can do it by tabbing through and guessing what the fields are but, it
doesn't tell you first name, last name, number, and extension.  I am pretty
sure that is the order of the fields.  I'm still experimenting to see if I can
import contacts from Skype.   If anyone has questions let me know.
Reg

Your New Technology Reporter of the day.