[real-eyes] Helpful utility to keep pc up to date

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:12:07 -0500

Here is a great utility that I use on all of our computers to keep
things up to date.  I'll provide the link to the current beta of this
program below, as it has a nice feature that the current version doesn't.

I do want to let people know using this program does require good skills
with using your jaws cursor or window eyes mouse keys.

Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
FREE PC Security for Home Users
Used by millions of home users around the world.
The Secunia PSI is a
FREE
  security tool designed to detect
vulnerable and
out-dated programs
  and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Attacks exploiting
vulnerable programs
and plug-ins are rarely blocked by traditional anti-virus and are
therefore increasingly
"popular" among criminals.
The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security
updates, commonly
referred to as patches. Patches are offered free-of-charge by most
software vendors,
however, finding all these patches is a tedious and time consuming task.
Secunia
PSI automates this and alerts you when your programs and plug-ins
require updating
to stay secure.

The nice feature I talked about earlier is with some programs like adobe
flash, it can download and install the updates on its own.  More
programs are being added to the list for this feature.

For the programs that aren't patched automatically, Secunia will let you
know what needs to be updated and a link to help you do that.
I've found the best way to update programs is to use the mouse keys and
click on Dashbord and then click on Results.
It takes a little time to get used to but it is worth it.

The download link
http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe

Here is the link to the program's web site
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Steve