[real-eyes] Re: Fw: Accessible Devices Important InformationAbout Upcoming I E 7 Release Especially For Jaws Users

  • From: "Fettgather, Jim" <jfettgather@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:03:47 -0500

Hi Greg, your point is well taken regarding the error in the mistyped
message submitted by Charles Oppermann.  It is indeed an unfortunate
situation where we live in a world in which we are all forced to become
security experts because of the inadequacies in the Windows operating
system.  I should have qualified my earlier message to suggest that
using and applying automatic updates in Windows is probably a good idea
for the vast majority of computer users.  Most people will simply not
take the time to annalyze the nature and scope of these constant
updates, not install them, and leave their computers open to worms and
spyware used typically to turn their machines into zombies sending out
thousands of spam messages without their knowledge, or, to perform other
nefarious tasks on the Internet.

Since this is a computer mailing list, the majority of our members are
more savvy than the typical PC user.  Examining and selectively
installing updates is well within the abilities of many of our list
members.

I can think of one such recent update that installed a component called
Windows Genuine Advantage, which was really only an advantage for
Microsoft.  This component attempts to ensure that your copy of Windows
is legitimate, and if it is not, phones home to Redmond.  Problem is,
there are lots of false positives, there are plenty of licensed copies
of Windows that have been reported as pirated copies.  This update was
definitely not a desirable one.

Thanks for your well articulated message.

   =20
   =20