[real-eyes] Fw: Accessible DVD player

  • From: "Duyahn Walker" <themusicman1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:03:59 -0500

Not sure how this will work with other screen readers such as Jaws, NVDA, or
system access but, for those of you that have Window eyes, here you go. I am
sure it might work with the other screen readers. Try it! It's Free!
Duyahn

I just wanted to inform you listers of a DVD player for the PC, that I came
across recently. Ever so often, we get the question here on the list, for such
a software, that is accessible and easily operated with WE.

I have tried several, but they all seem to be only this much accessible.
Recently I came across a software called CCCP, and which among others, hold a
DVD playback software. Easiest way to get hold of it, is to go to
    Ninite.com
. Choose Windows, and tab your way through the checkboxes, and check the CCCP
box. Then go to the Download Installer link, and download and run the
installer.

First installed, go to your start menu and the Programs submenu. Find
 Combined Community Codec Pack
. Hit Enter and choose
 Media Player Cinema Home
; which is the actual DVD player.

When in the main screen of the player, hit Alt-F, to open the File menu. Then
hit D, to open a DVD. You are taken to a File open screen, as you know it from
hundreds of other  Windows software. Shift-Tab twice, and scroll down to your
DVD drive. Hit Enter, and the movie is loaded into the software.

Press Space to start or pause the movie playback. Press the Period key to stop
playback. PageUp and PageDown moves to previous or next Title or Chapter. Left
and Right arrows moves you a few seconds backward or forward in the playback.
And the Up and Down arrows adjust the playback volume.

If you  quickly want to navigate the movie's Titles and Chapters, press Alt-N,
followed by J. Then arrow up and down through the selection, and hit Enter on
the desired one.

If you position your mouse at the very bottom row of the screen, here you will
find the time line. It shows you the current time position of the playback, and
the total length of the current Title. Even - I guess - you could use the
Hotspot app, for setting hotspots to read you these infos at the touch of a
hotkey.

The software is, far as I have been able to test it, fully accessible. Menus
are good old-styled Windows menus, and infos on the screen are fully readable -
even though you might want to use your mouse keys for reading the screen. All
in all, a good easy alternative to any other DVD playback software that I have
been in touch with. Seems to be free as well.

Yet another benefit, is that I had several DVDs here, that none of the main
stream software would play properly. Windows Media Player - for one - insisted
that my display driver was outdated; even if going through HP's updater told me
all drivers are up-to-date. So, with none of the mainstream products, my fully
legally bought DVDs would not play. Soon as I installed the CCCP software, and
use their DVD player, these movies play just wonderfully.

Hope this info is helpful to some of you listers!