[real-eyes] Five Security Resolutions for 2012

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nutkc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 06:25:45 -0600

The following is from
http://www.astaro.com/blog/news/5_security_resolutions
Please go there for any links or any other information.

  Five Security Resolutions for 2012
As 2011 comes to a close and we prepare to usher in a new year it is
time to reflect
on transgressions from the past 12 months and on how we can better
ourselves in the
coming year. In addition to making resolutions to lose weight or
exercise more, we
at Astaro, Sophos Network Security, urge you to consider committing to
resolutions
that will help secure your personal and business networks. Below are
some suggestions
for resolutions. At the turn of the year, it has become a tradition for
many to seize
the opportunity to leave one or the other bad habit behind and start
anew. Why not
also deploy this vigor for the best friend of the modern era: your PC,
Laptop, Smart
Phone or Tablet will be thankful too (and at the same time, your online
world gets
a little bit more secure!). If you want to pledge your commitment simply
“like” this
post or add a comment at
Facebook
.
Resolution No. 1: I will not access the Internet without up to date
malware protection
and an installed firewall and antivirus
Why? Last year150,000 malware attacks were registered* daily! If only
everybody would
install sufficient security software, this threat would be minimalized.
Insider-Tip: Complete home network protection doesn’t need to cost big
bucks.
Secure your own network for free with our software!
Resolution No. 2: I will not click on tinyURLs, hyperlinks or links of
unknown origin
without investigating first.
Why? Even if you think you know the sender or the site, this won’t
guarantee your
safety. 80% of these URLs stem from former legitimate pages, which were
either hacked
or infected.
Insider-Tip: Computer and security threats made easy!
Learn more about what is out there in our threatsaurus! (PDF)
Resolution No. 3: I will update my security software package regularly
and with a
watchful eye!
Why? Fake antivirus software and SEO poisoning are the number one way
malware is
spread. Therefore stay alert and don’t blindly install updates, make
sure they are
from your provider. Otherwise, you are opening the door for new security
breaches.
Insider Tip: Take the threat detection test.
Download our free computer security scan!
Resolution No. 4: I will not wait until my laptop is stolen or lost
before I encrypt
data!
Why? Loss or theft of hardware makes up 30% of all data loss scenarios.
Do your best
to physically protect your hardware, but also make sure information is
encrypted
in case these precautions fail.
Insider-Tipp: Quick and easy encryption for all your data.
Download our free tool here!
Resolution No. 5: I will stop using “password” as my password
Why? In 2011, passwords such as “password”, “123456”, “qwerty” and
“abc123” were
still topping the most used passwords list*. Moreover, 67% of all mobile
device users
haven’t installed any password protection at all. A secure password can
go a long
way towards protecting your data.
Insider-Tip: Simple tips for better security.
Take a look at this video about the perfect password!
* Sources: Sophos Security Threat Report Mid-Year 2011, Data Loss DB, TNS

Please visit my blog
www.blindbites.wordpress.com
Please follow me on twitter
www.twitter.com/blindbites