[ratpack] Canon lens problem

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:15:23 -0700

The lens lock on my 18-200 IS lens broke a while back. I sent it to Canon. They want $124 to replace the cheap piece of plastic with another one like it. This is the review I sent to them:

Avoid this like the plague
Date: January 19, 2010
Pros: none
Cons: Poor build quality

I bought this lens last September. I used it on one occasion and then it sat in my camera bag until January. I took it out to photograph a snow storm using my 7D body on a tripod. After a few shots, I removed the camera and lens from the tripod, removed the CF card and copied the images to my computer. When I put the card back in and picked up the camera the lens lock was broken and the lens jammed.

I attempted to use it with manual focus but that failed (it cost me a wedding shoot.)

I sent the lens to Canon's California Repair Center and after a couple of days I received an email stating that they would charge me $124 to repair the damage. I called and was told that only factory defects were covered under warranty. I attempted to explain that the poor design of the lens lock WAS a factory defect. All I got was an offer to knock 20 percent off the repair price.

The lens is still at the repair center. I don't know what will become of this.
Other than one very cheap and poorly designed part, the lens is great. But what good is a great lens if you can't use it?

Until Canon addresses this issue, DO NOT buy this lens unless you enjoy throwing hundred dollar bills at it for something that could have been avoided with a 5 cent part.

We'll see what happens when the "review my review" for posting on their website:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=17518

There are several others who have had the same problem.  I'm pissed.

Not only that, I found that there's a focus problem with the 7D. Half the shots I got at the Auto Expo Friaday were blurred. So I went back today to re-shoot 'em. Same frikkin thing.

After some searching, I found that I'm not alone. It's a problem that's just showed up
http://www.highdefedition.com/2009/10/canon-7d-autofocus-issue/comment-page-1/#comment-276
and
http://blog.photoframd.com/2009/12/07/canon-7d-problem-focusing-customize-the-af/comment-page-1/#comment-418 which doesn't fix the problem when using a strobe. I'm really pissed.

RtR