[radioastro] Jupiter August 11 2009 at STEREO WAVES

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RadioAstro <radioastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:46:38 -0700

The STEREO WAVES recordings :
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2009/swaves_summary_20090811_c.png
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2009/swaves_summary_20090811_c.pdf
show two events near 5 and 15 UT, around 1 Mhz, in the STEREO B recording.

They are spaced close to the Jovian rotation period of 9 h 55 m and they
could to be two consecutive sweeps of the radiation cones. It could be a
coincidence. I am studying other STEREO events that also show spacings close
to 10 hours.

The statistics that are used in the Jupiter Pro and Jupiter Radio software,
and the University of Florida UFRO Ephemeris, are based on many years of
decametric wavelength observations, but these two events are hectometric.
The different locations of the STEREO Observatories and the Earth may also
require adjustments to the probability forecasts.

Using the Jupiter Pro and Jupiter Radio software, as a first approximation,
I find the first event was near CML 128 Phase 357, and is likely a non-Io-B.
The second event is near CML 130 Phase 82, and is likely an Io-B.

The Radio Jove Archive shows no entries for August, at this time. The Nancay
Decametric Array did not observe Jupiter during the 5-15 UT period.

WIND WAVES does not show strong activity at 5 and 15 UT:
ftp://stereowaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/wind_rad2/rad2pdf/20090811.pdf
but does show activity near 0415 and 1430 UT.

Victor Herrero

http://herrero.110mb.com/
http://hubbleed.bravehost.com/