[racktables-users] support for other switches

  • From: "phish phreek" <phishphreek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:34:34 -0500

Hello All.

Please excuse me if this information is posted elsewhere. I've searched
through the wiki and the mailing list archives and I didn't  see it listed.
I stumbled upon Rack Tables after searching for a solution for ip address
management. I was pretty impressed by the demo and I've downloaded it and
installed it on one of my network monitoring boxes.

I see that there is a feature to map switch ports. However, it appears as
though racktables only supports scanning of Cisco switches? My network
environment consists of Cisco routers, Cisco ASA firewalls, sonicwall
firewalls, nortel (L3+L2) and netgear(L2) switches. I have several stacks
which consists of Nortel ERS 5500, Nortel ERS 4500 and many stand along
Netgear GSM7224 switches. When I try to use the SNMP feature, I get an
message saying that it doesn't know how to handle it. Here is an example
when trying to scan a 5510 stack: "No idea how to handle Ethernet Routing
Switch 5510-48T HW:34 FW:5.0.0.4 SW:v5.1.2.035 BN:35 (c) Nortel Networks"

Can someone please outline what I need to do in order to enable support for
these devices?

I'm currently using Netdisco (http://www.netdisco.org) to map my switches
but I'd really like the additional features that Rack Tables provides.

My main goals are to be able to identify which switch ports have which
devices on them. I like that in netdisco I can type in the hostname, the ip
address or even a partial mac address and I get the results I want. However,
I don't have any way to manage IP address utilization, switch to patch panel
mapping, patch panel to room mapping etc. Right now I have that info in an
access database and just run reports when I need to.

I'm not that great of a programmer or else I'd focus on taking netdisco and
incorporating it's features in Rack Tables myself. Or, maybe I'm mistaken
about what Rack Tables is actually supposed to be used for.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.